First reg set and servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to buy my first reg set and I'd really appreciate clarification on the costs associated with servicing. My understanding is that a number of companies offer free parts under the warranty if I purchase new and from an authorized dealer. A new regulator set can cost close to twice as much as a used set, but a used set will require servicing. My local dive shop charges $65 dollars for a regulator service plus parts. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on typical parts? Also, does a regulator service typically include servicing of the entire set (primary, second stage, octo, HP hose/spg)?

Parts pricing depends on brand- any idea what one your looking into? Sherwood has the cheapest parts prices by far. older modles with the dry air bleed range from $12-$17 for the 1st AND 2nd stage kit. Mares and apeks on the otherhand, tend to be the most expensive- Apeks 1st stage kit alone is around $45. A rebuild/overhaul will cover all replaceable parts in the 1st stage, 2nd stage, hoses and SPG spool/spindle. 'replaceable parts' vary with brand: Aqualung kits replace EVERY oring in the entire system including the diaphragm and seat. Oceanic replaces scheduel 'A' parts with every overhaul and allows for defect-free scheduel 'B' parts to be reused. Mares replaces every oring in the whole system but allows for the seat and diaphragm to be replaced every other year.

IMHO, the free parts for life programs are a rip off. ScubaPro was the most notorious - to qualify for the program you were required to service your reg every year and on time. While the cost of parts were free the service was not. ScubaPro canned the program for the most part this past fall - pissing off many people.

As for service yes regulator service typically includes servicing of the entire set (primary, second stage, octo, HP hose/spg). However, you should ask. For instance, the HP spool should be checked as it is the most common failure I have seen on personal regs.

My suggestion is if you find a used reg ask someone knowledgable about the reg and value. I work on Atomic regs for my personal use and have rebuilt/upgraded most of ours regs and a bunch more. Of our 10 regs only 4 were bought new. The others I have were bought used and rebuilt/updated and one would be hard pressed to know that is was used.

Prices on parts change from brand to brand. Most shop charge per stage, ie. one first stage and two second stages if you have a standard recreational setup. As far as free parts I know Aqualung offers them if you buy new and from a Aqualung dealer. Free parts vs buying used is a toss up. It just depends on how you look at it. Good luck.

Generally speaking, the cost of annual service parts (to the customer) is less than the cost of the service labor and it could easily be less than half the service cost. You should expect a good quality regulator to go for 100 dives of more before an "annual service" is really needed. The "or more" could easily get you more than 5 years between "annual" service.

The best way to insure a dive trip is not interrupted by regulator problems is to have a spare regulator on hand. And, of course, take good care of your regulators and inspect them often (including IP check).

The actual cost of annual service part might make you cry. A simple classic downstream design 2nds has a few o-ring and a very simple LP seat. The cost to the mfgr who puts the service kits together is pennies. And the wholesale price is a couple bucks. More complex stages with composite seats may cost the mfgr a couple dollars and wholesale for something on the order of $10. And there are plenty in between. But don't expect any relief until a ScubaZone or an Advanced Scuba Parts opens near you.

Scubapro offers Free Parts for Life ( FPL ) on their regs, octs and AIR II.

Yes, you need to have them serviced annually. An annual service is once a year by definition and is the best way to keep
your gear " dive ready ".

We charge $25 per stage, parts if not Free are about $20 per stage.

Yes, you want to service all three stages annually to get them in working order and to maintain your FPL.

I charge approx. $90.00 to service a HOG or Edge reg set including parts. But that is every two years. There is a recommended annual inspection to check pressures, change static hose orings and give it a good cleaning. I charge $25.00 for that. Regs do not need to be rebuilt every year unless you are doing a boatload of dives or using them in harsh conditions. And make no mistake you pay for those "free parts". Up front or when you pay labor on a reg that does not need a full service.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

A LDS here charges $110 to do the annual scubapro reg service. Complete overhaul, every year. I have yet to buy a regulator, but I think I am going to stay away from Scubapro.

ScubaPro recently changed their Free Part for Life to only apply to new purchases if you purchase you Primary, Octo, BCD, and Dive Computer at the same time. So if you aren't buying a complete Scubapro package you won't have FPL. If you do purchase a complete package and forget to have it serviced on time once, you cease to receive FPL.

I can't say if FPL is worth it or not in general (I'm still making my own decisions). But unless you definitely plan to go all ScubaPro (and associated brands) and service religiously, I can say ScubaPro's FPL doesn't seem like a great deal.

I have my gear inspected/serviced yearly. AL Glacia, Zeagle Octo-Z, and Zeagle Scout.
Inspection years (every other) are $30.
Service/Rebuild are $65.
I think that's a pretty good deal for the peace of mind I get. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom