First reg, absence of information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy a new midrange regulator, and know that two years from now it can be your spare (on a pony bottle, etc.) or you can sell it without a great loss. But if you buy a used one, send it back for factory servicing--don't gamble on shops, they are too often hit or miss and the cost of one lost dive more than exceeds the cost of having factory service.

The best in performance and reliability mid-level regulator that is at the highest level of performance is the Atomic Z2 with sealed first stage. If you want a first stage with swivel turret version of this regulator, consider the B2 with sealed first stage or the M1 (I'd go for the M1). The M1 has a swivel turret in the first stage but no second stage hose swivel. The B2 has both.

Atomic Aquatics: The Best Regulators Ever Designed

Last edited:
If you want a swivel version of this regulator, consider the B2 with sealed first stage or the M1 (I'd go for the M1).
My M1s don't have a swivel, I don't think they are included in the M1. Nice regs however.

My M1s don't have a swivel, I don't think they are included in the M1. Nice regs however.

Sorry, I meant swivel turret not SS hose swivel :) The M1 has a swivel turret in the first stage but no second stage hose swivel. The B2 has both.

Although I have no problem with the ss hose swivel, I don't like this feature in the Atomic regulator line since it is made as an integrated part of the hose and if one needs to replace the hose, they will have to replace the hose with the swivel which makes the hose VERY expensive and difficult to get these hugely expensive custom length hoses with integrated swivel. I'd prefer to get a swivel or an elbow separate from the hose.

Thanks to you all for the responses. I went with a HOG D3/Zenith set on the advice that I get a new midrange reg. I got the environmentally sealed version because I wanted a yoke fitting, and they apparently don't sell unsealed yoke regs. I bought the thing as part of a package with a BC, octo, and air integrated computer and then added on an analogue SPG/depth gauge for redundancy. Here's a link to what I ultimately got.

http://www.divers-supply.com/premium-scuba-package.html

Back
Top Bottom