First purchase of Scuba Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liver10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving for about year and have my PADI AOWD certification. I am thinking about taking the rescue course later this year or early next year. I am planning on buy my first set of diving equipment and wondering what your thoughts are on my setup. I will be a recreational diver, diving in cold and warm water.

BCD -- SeaQuest AquaLung Pro QD
Regs -- Apeks XTX200 Tungsten 1st and 2nd
Octo -- AquaLung Legend
SPG -- AquaLung
Computer -- Suunto Gekko.

I would like to buy gear I will not need to upgrade anytime soon with the possiblity of the gear to last until I finish diving. I know I will probably have to upgrade the computer but for now I think the Gekko will be ok.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.

You are going to get lots of replies. Remember a lot of the time it's peoples personal preference so take that into consideration too!

If you have done research and feel your happy with what you've picked... go for it!

Enjoy :)

You did not mention BP/W, that will bring in a wave of comments also.

But like it was posted before, if you have done your research and feel good about your pick. It will be fine.

Hi liver10,

I did the same thing you did - I dove with rented equipment my first year, tried out all kinds of different setups, and learned and thought about what types of diving I eventually wanted to get into. When I bought my gear a year out, I knew what I wanted and luckily have not had to re-buy a lot of basics.

The gear on your list looks great, and since you've had plenty of time to put thought into what you want, I say go for it!

Dive safe.

I am planning on buy my first set of diving equipment and wondering what your thoughts are on my setup. I will be a recreational diver, diving in cold and warm water.
BCD -- SeaQuest AquaLung Pro QD
Regs -- Apeks XTX200 Tungsten 1st and 2nd
Octo -- AquaLung Legend
SPG -- AquaLung
Computer -- Suunto Gekko.
Good set-up as others have said. I have a SeaQuest Pro QD BC and it is very functional. I also have an Apeks ATX 200 and is is a GREAT regulator. My only question - why are you paying extra for a 'tungsten' regulator?

To those that are wondering why I have choosen what I have, I have choosen based on what is in stock at the shop. This is a small island and the import tax makes it too expensive to buy items elsewhere.:(

Your choice in equipment is fine except the cost/benefit of tungsten may not be worth the price unless you plan to dive really cold waters (i think less than 10 degree celsius) and you will save a lot on the price.

My experience has been that the regulator will outlast all the other gear, and easily over 10 years. So I would go with the best and ignore the price. The couple of hundred dollars extra will make no difference over the life of the reg.

Adam

I think the last magazine "plongeurs" that you may find around gave a pretty good review on both the Legend and the Apeks (11 regulators tested acording to the european standard). But most preferred the legend.
The Gekko is good and cheap (but conservative - painful if your usual buddies are using let's say uwatec as it may also be popular where you are), and it is not straight forward to download to PC. If you have the Vyper2 model for not too much more, it may be a better option ?

Do you really have cold water down there or you are thinking about a dive trip to south kiwi land ? ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom