First Public Safety Dive Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dalyup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well it was more of a wade than a dive but it did finally get to 4 feet.
How do I log that??? lol Muddy, slick and nasty! But what else can we ask for in PSD

Been reading around here for a while but really had no reasons to post, because, any questions or comments that I could think of have been asked on here somewhere before!!! Lots of great info here and really like reading the seasoned divers comments
Thanks
Rusty Gray
Hillsdale Carrier FD
Hillsdale, OK

I'm sure some others will chime in here with some great information for you but my take as a retired police officer would be to log the dive and every detail of it. You are not recreational diving and an accurate record of all of the dive details will be invaluable to you in the event you wind up in court for something someday and an attorney is asking you all sorts of questions which may or may not be relevant. In this manner you will be able to show that you have experience in varying conditions, which as a PSD you are going to have to face, and the documentation to prove it. In civil and criminal matters it is always best to CYA for any and every situation that can conceivably arise which you will probably get to experience.

Thank you for doing this, many people will never take the time to thank you for what you do, especially if you have just recovered a body.

Stay Safe!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have written a detailed report of the incident and its now part of our "Run Report". I just wasn't sure whether or not to put in my logbook. Was also wondering if I should keep a separate logbook for the PSD we do???

There are a few PSD courses that require that you show logs for all your PSD experience- so definitely log all of the PSD training and dives, even if you're just wading. Up to you if you keep them separate- I just keep mine all together.

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

The PSD section of the board is here-
Public Safety Divers - ScubaBoard

Feel free to drop by and say hello.

Thanks TC I will, and I will definately log the PSD dives. Right now I think I will keep them seperate, since there's so much difference between the two disciplines.

Well it was more of a wade than a dive but it did finally get to 4 feet.
How do I log that??? lol Muddy, slick and nasty! But what else can we ask for in PSD

Been reading around here for a while but really had no reasons to post, because, any questions or comments that I could think of have been asked on here somewhere before!!! Lots of great info here and really like reading the seasoned divers comments
Thanks Rusty Gray Hillsdale Carrier FD Hillsdale, OK

Welcome to ScubaBoard, where Okies come to meet. There is a long history of non-diving bureaucrats telling others to strap on a tank and go get em. Years ago there was someone "teaching" diving to firemen and police, to go down a rope from a boat and bring back a handful of mud. . . "Now you were a diver". A difficult and dangerous history. In the 60's there was sport diver recoveries, and one Oklahoma Highway Patrol diver that was making recoveries. There is a highway patrol dive team now, and they should be called in whenever the dive conditions are typical of most Oklahoma water.

Since you are new to diving, go to Tenkiller lake, to Gene's Pro dive shop on highway 10 A it is the highway between the turnoff for the dam and the Fin and Feather resort. Gene's is a good place for air, and local dive site advice. Back to the dam turnoff, and across the dam is the new Underwater State Park, with a school bus underwater, boats, and a helicopter. Put those in your logbook for experiences underwater. Make lots of dives in clear conditions, so when the time comes to go in the "MUD" you'll have less trouble with your equipment, nerves and disappointment. As another diver said about not being thanked, I've never been thanked for bringing up a body, or saving several before they drowned. People expect that and take it for granted.

Welcome to ScubaBoard, where Okies come to meet. There is a long history of non-diving bureaucrats telling others to strap on a tank and go get em. Years ago there was someone "teaching" diving to firemen and police, to go down a rope from a boat and bring back a handful of mud. . . "Now you were a diver". A difficult and dangerous history. In the 60's there was sport diver recoveries, and one Oklahoma Highway Patrol diver that was making recoveries. There is a highway patrol dive team now, and they should be called in whenever the dive conditions are typical of most Oklahoma water.

Since you are new to diving, go to Tenkiller lake, to Gene's Pro dive shop on highway 10 A it is the highway between the turnoff for the dam and the Fin and Feather resort. Gene's is a good place for air, and local dive site advice. Back to the dam turnoff, and across the dam is the new Underwater State Park, with a school bus underwater, boats, and a helicopter. Put those in your logbook for experiences underwater. Make lots of dives in clear conditions, so when the time comes to go in the "MUD" you'll have less trouble with your equipment, nerves and disappointment. As another diver said about not being thanked, I've never been thanked for bringing up a body, or saving several before they drowned. People expect that and take it for granted.

Well Mudhole, Thanks to you as well! Public safety is an often thankless job and I never did it for the "thanks" but it was always nice to hear from someone when you did something for them. Funny how you could be trying to save someone's life one week and then arresting them the next, hero to POS in in instant, but that's what makes the job so rewarding!

Thanks to all for the response. Mudhole, I did dive Tenkiller the first of May, and it was ok. I dove Beaver lake in ark this weekend and there is no, and I mean no comparison to the two! Beaver on it's worst day is better than tenkiller, imo. I made 7 dives this weekend. One on fri. evening, four on sat, and two on sunday. The Vis on friday and Sat was an easy 20 to 25 ft. On Sunday though, there were so many divers out there, they looked like a gaggle of seals all huddled up on the shore!!!! Vis went to poo. 5 to 10 feet sometimes worse. Thank God I had my boat, so we went somewhere else. Thermo was about 25 to 27 feet and the vis really opened up below 50ft. I really don't know if I'll dive tenkiller much now since beaver is only an extra hour, for me....... But I do want to dive the bluffs off of the second Ilsand at Tenkiller, probably find all sorts of things down there, where everyone jumps off. One thing I do know I won't be shore diving for rec. after having my boat with me this weekend!!!
Thanks Again,
Rusty

dalyup, you compare Tenkiller in May after lots of rain, with Beaver in July without much rain, OK. Did you know the two lakes watershed is less than 10 miles apart with one range of hills determining which lake the water flows to. They are very close to the same visibility, over a years time.

I like both lakes, mostly when you're in a boat. . . Best visibility in either lake is around the twisting river channel, even if it is over 100 feet deep. Most of the water flow will follow that old river path. In both lakes, look at the river channel and where the flow turns suddenly, lots of food is deposited where the momentum carried it. Find a bluff, then check out both areas where the bluff flattens out. Those slopes next to a bluff, will attract fish, and usually good visibility.

One good advantage to Beaver lake is the tall hills have more protected areas from the waves, making for calm waters. . . one disadvantage of Beaver lake is the tall hills, blocking the winds when the temperatures are over 100 degrees.

Many people who talk about Tenkiller's visibility go to the Underwater park when there are instructors with lots of students stirring up the shallows. Often the park areas near Beaver dam are just the same. . . the mud is coming from people kicking up the silt. If you want to dive from your car at Tenkiller, look around for uncrowded areas. If the park is crowded, go to Crappie point, if that is busy, go to the north side of Pine cove, and swim out to the big rocks below the bluff. If that is too much effort, go to Strayhorn and dive the north or south shore, avoiding the swim area and the boat ramp. Another choice is drive up the west side, on "Indian Road" to Burnt Cabin point. . . take the left fork in the road, right fork goes to the marina. Continue on the road as it changes from gravel to dirt. This takes you to the bluff and down on the north side of the bluff and a shallow slope.

Another choice is going up the Eastern side of Snake Creek park, go into the park and keep going until you reach the rocky north shore of the cove. Always fly a dive flag and stay away from boat ramps.

Beaver lake is good much of the year, and Tenkiller is good much of the year, both lakes may be less than 5 feet visibility or up to 30 feet visibility, depending on weather, rain, storms, etc. Now if you want to compare lakes. . . Lake Ouachita in west central Arkansas has all our area lakes beaten, all the time. Fishing in Ouachita is great, hunting for crystals underwater is great, playing with the toys, their local divers have sunk, sandy beach islands, houseboat rentals. . . This is fresh water paradise.

Back
Top Bottom