First ocean dive: Guide or no guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if you are lucky enough to get on the Benwood ...
...see if you can find the bomb lying in the rubble off to one side.

Either way take a safety sausage with you in case you get lost, separated from the boat, so they can find you quickly.

That does make me wonder how often Key Largo dive charter customers "get lost, separated from the boat" - I saw a buddy team "blown" off the Bibb during my 6 weeks diving there.

Seems like putting up a sausage at Molasses would make plenty Captains stand up. :idk:

Thank you so much everyone for all of the informative posts. After reading them I have decided I will dive with a guide the first day and without on the following days.

I never felt like I NEEDED a guide (or wanted one for that matter) but I was reading a piece and diving the Keys and in that article it "strongly" recommended diving with a guide. That is the reason that I asked.

We are actually making a beach dive at Lauderdale By The Sea, so by the time we make it to the reef dives we will already have made our first ocean dives, but I will still go with a guide.

I don't know...I would suggest a guide myself. I'm pretty new and I'm always concerned about navigation. I know we went over heading out on a compass bearing in OW...but honestly, do we dive in straight lines?

So, I guess I always feel better about going with a guide for those purposes for myself.

One of the great things(heck only thing really) about diving in Cozumel----CURRENT.....I get 'lost' @ least once a trip taking solo UW pics but no worry, your group is only in ONE direction----where ever the current is going......:)

Now saying this, wife and just planned our 'annual' CZM spring trip for March, so it can't be all bad down there...:D

We are actually making a beach dive at Lauderdale By The Sea, so by the time we make it to the reef dives we will already have made our first ocean dives, but I will still go with a guide.

Make sure you bring your dive Flag. Be safe dont expect boats or jetskis to pay attention to your flag. Swim into the current the first part of your dive then drift back to your statring point and head for shore. Otherwise you may end up a lot further down the beach then you expected.

Back
Top Bottom