First ocean dive: Guide or no guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be making my first ocean dive this summer in Key Largo. I am trying to decide which dive op to book. One dive op includes a dive guide for the same price as the dive op with NO dive guide.

My question is: Do I even need/want a dive guide?

Please give me the pros and cons of having a dive guide. I am confident in my diving skills, I have just never done a certified ocean dive. TIA

If it's the same cost, you don't have a regular buddy and you are inexperienced, I'd get the guide personally.

My question is why would you not want a guide??....for the same price??......Always remember, there's safety in numbers.....(In your case, I'd go with one--being that you're new to this etc).......

EDIT: What is " a certified ocean dive."?

My question is why would you not want a guide??....for the same price??......Always remember, there's safety in numbers.....(In your case, I'd go with one--being that you're new to this etc).......

EDIT: What is " a certified ocean dive."?

My girlfriend who is my dive buddy will be accompanying me on the trip. It would be nice to have extra numbers, but I don't want to have a "follow the leader" type dive if I don't have to. I would rather be given a recommended dive plan and just dive that plan.

And by "certified ocean dives" I meant (and I know this is frowned upon), but a few years ago I went on a trip with a friend to Hawaii, they were certified and I was not...after a 10 minutes crash course, I was headed to around 100'. I had 4 dives there in Hawaii before I got Scuba certified (very scary looking back on it and I'm not proud...I was just young and didn't know better).

I went to Key Largo in January 2010 and my first dive was with an operator that included the dive guide free - no one else did this. Terrible mistake. It was everyone on the boat following this one guy and dives were short. If you weren't near him his pointing to wildlife was useless and he didn't even motion (or afterwards say anything) to the idiot who kept pulling on a sea turtle. I wouldn't do this option unless you are extremely anxious.

I did the rest of my dives with another operator and was much happier. If you're hesitant about ocean dives, just start with some of the Keys' shallow reefs (most are 20-30'). These are also some of the more popular dive sites. You might get lucky and meet a buddy to dive with for your week (or however long your stay).

By the way, navigation is the only thing to worry about on the reefs there in my experience that is difficult without a guide. Good thing is, it's so shallow that with a safe ascent you can surface, find the boat and get back easily.

Don't mean to sound harsh but if your confident in your diving skills with less than 2 dozen dives and no "certified ocean dives", I would go with the guide. You need his experience, if not for the information he may point out on the dive then at least you can pick up some more experience diving with him.

I am assuming when you were certified it was lake diving since you stated you have no "certified ocean dives". I personally was totally unprepared for the difference between cold and warm water diving, always best to dive with a guide when your doing something new.

It's important that you don't view the dive guide/master as a substitute for having to take personal responsibility for the dive. Ensure that you apply the skills and procedures that you learnt on your Open Water course.

The best mindset is to plan and conduct any 'supervised' dive as if you were unsupervised. If nothing else, it ensures that you remain safe in the unlikely event that you got separated from the guide, or if the guide displayed less professionalism than you might expect.

The 'pros' to using a guide (in the proper way) are that you (should) have access to some expert knowledge about the dive sites you will be visiting. The guide should understand the best route/s to navigate the sites and should be able to show you the most interesting features of those sites. They should also have a very high standard of personal diving ability, meaning that you should not have to worry about them having problems - thus eliminating any stress that may have arised from having to dive with another novice diver. Lastly, the dive guide should have exemplary rescue skills. Whilst this is highly unlikely to be an issue, it is reassuring to know that should there be a problem, you are in safe hands.

Golden Rules:

1) Do not abdicate responsibility for your dive to anyone.

2) You are responsible for your own safety. Make decisions accordingly. Do not be tempted into doing so-called 'trust me' dives... where you are diving to the guide's limits, not your own.

3) Fully apply the lessons and skills you learned on your Open Water course. Use every dive as a means to polish your skills and improve your diving ability.

4) Plan and conduct every dive whilst considering the contingency that you may have to complete it alone.

5) Never assume that your diveguide/master knows best. If in doubt, apply what you learned on your Open Water course.

6) Remember that "any diver can abort any dive, at any time", don't let peer pressure from other divers or dive professionals force you into doing things you are personally uncomfortable with. Stay within your comfort zone and be prepared to say 'no'.

7) Be realistic about your skills and capabilities. Don't let over-confidence drag you into situations beyond your scope of reaction. Be aware that 'you don't know what you don't know'. There's a lot of knowledge which isn't taught at Open Water level, so there are many risks that you will not be aware of yet. Consequently, do respect the recommendations that have been given by your training agency, especially those about depth and time. Dive conservatively and accept that agency/industry recommendations originate from genuine safety concerns.

8) Be realistic about your skills and capabilities. Don't let under-confidence cause unecessary stress. If you dive conservatively, within the limitations of your training and experience, then there is a high degree of safety. Your Open Water course provided you with all the skills and knowledge necessary to be safe providing that you stay within those boundaries and apply what you have learned.

9) Open Water diving is an especially safe pursuit. If you follow the rules and recommendations...and apply your skills and knowledge, then there is very little to go wrong. The only real thing that can cause an accident or injury is panic. Panic is very bad, because it will prevent you from reacting effectively and appropriately to even a small issue. Panic can lead to 'instinctive' reactions...especially to rush to the surface. Instinctive reactions can hurt you. If nothing else....do not panic underwater. Learn how to recognise, respond to and overcome the sensation of panic. If you can control panic, no matter what goes wrong, then your safety is virtually guaranteed. There is virtually nothing that can harm you underwater, except yourself.

10) Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy. Don't expect personal perfection. Don't stress about things. Just relax and enjoy what you are doing. :D

I don't know...I would suggest a guide myself. I'm pretty new and I'm always concerned about navigation. I know we went over heading out on a compass bearing in OW...but honestly, do we dive in straight lines?

So, I guess I always feel better about going with a guide for those purposes for myself.

Unless the guide is the same one gcs dove with it can't hurt.
I did my first ocean dive with a guide more to point out critters than anything else and it was Nice, I was comfortable diving at the time and I didn't look to the guide to do anything but point out things I would have missed, which was nice.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom