First Ocean Dive(Cozumel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terri2chris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As of Sept. 2011, My husband and I were certified SCUBA divers,,YAY!
Our first Dive trip to Cozumel was March 21st thru March 27th.
It was our third visit to the Island. I joined SB in June of last year,
To make a long story short, I finally overcame my deep seated fear of the water.
We contacted several Dive op’s most informed us, that all the dives they had planned
Were for advanced divers, due to location, depth and current.

We went out with Dive Paradise, to Paradise reef,(gorgeous) it was our first ocean dive
We also hired our own dive master, A great guide and DM.
Several days later we booked a trip with Dive with Martin, again we were informed
Of the depth, I informed DWM that I did not want to go to the depth of 80 feet
Hired our own DM,we were fully briefed on the boat, Told him I did not want to go any deeper than
50 feet but if I was comfortable was wanting to descend deeper than 50’, Roberto(DM) let me know that he would stay at any depth I choose, He could see I was somewhat nervous, on the other hand my Husband had zero reservations. Roberto myself and husband
Descended together, Roberto had hold of my BCD, at the 50 foot depth, he asked if I was ok and wanted to go deeper, I said YES! 62 feet!! At Delilah Reef,(beautiful)…
Our 2nd dive was at Cedral Pass(what a ride).saw a huge spotted eagle ray, nurse shark.
I asked Roberto what speed the current was moving he said about 4 or 5 knots,
I informed both DM’s that we were new divers and I was nervous, I didn’t care what anybody on the boat thought,
I have included the email I sent to DWM.in brackets

{{{{Hello DWM,

We made our (me and hubby) first Dive trip to Cozumel (third visit but first time divers)

If memory serves correctly it was 3-23-12

It was our second time diving in the ocean and requested our own private dive master.

We were so thrilled and pleased with the professionalism and knowledge of our Dive master,
Roberto, I felt safe and well taken care for both dives, I even held his hand and he never made me feel
Like a *big ole sissy*..What a GREAT guy!!

We hope to return again later this year,
I will be a repeat customer, Hope Roberto will be available.

Sincerely,
Terri and Chris Smith}}}}}}

Until I have enough experience and comfort in the water I will ALWAYS hire our own DM.
They are worth the extra money.I have to thank SB or I would not of known to hire our own DM,
And as always I am responsible for my safety and that of my buddy, We always carry safety gear(whistle,flashlight,sausage and knife)
Thanks again to everyone on SB. Wishing we were back in Coz.(in case any SB memeber happened to be on the same boat, I'm the lady with the Dum Dum suckers):D

I am glad you set your personal safety limits and that your guide and DM listened to you!!

Great story. Sounds like the type of dm's I've met in Coz.

Kudos for recognizing your limitations and doing the right things to work through them. I wish more new divers had your attitude.

I like your attitude.

You sound like the type of person I would like diving with.

Dives and DMs like those are what make Cozumel a special place.

I did the Cedral dive in Feb, loved it

I also enjoyed the professional divers I meet in Coz, they were all great, and were pretty patient with my wife and I, who were newer divers while on our trip.

Glad you had a great time, I am already planning a return visit to the island

Great job! You realized your limitations and did the right things to compensate! Experience will give you the ability to be a comfortable and competant diver!

What a great statement to share with others! EVERY diver was a new diver at one time, and every one of them should have ( but didn't) do what you did. As you have already seen, you get more comfortable with every dive, get more competent with every dive, and a helpful DM (we like to think we are always helpful, but there are some...) can be a great presence as you grow in our sport. Thanks for sharing. Happy Diving!
DivemasterDennis

Great approach to your early dives. The wise and prudent diver usually dives another day.

Dr.Dog,

We are hoping to get back in August again,
Congrats on your certification.
Terri

---------- Post added April 15th, 2012 at 10:35 AM ----------

Great approach to your early dives. The wise and prudent diver usually dives another day.
Thanks, Grant.

Back
Top Bottom