First night dive at Blue Heron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scblade27

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was planning on doing my first night dive this weekend down at Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm. I was wondering if anyone had done a dive there or if anyone has any general suggestions. I have done a dive there before and i have also been into areas with very low light situations. I have good lights and a good buddy. I just really wanted any tips or suggestions of things I may not know or not have thought about yet. Thanks! this is an awesome board, I enjoy reading what everyone has to say.

I've done a couple of dives there, but not at night. Most people enter under the bridge and head due west along or between the bridge pilings. Aftert the fourth set of pilings you should stop because you're entering the boat channel, but many people like to go down the wall created by the dredging for the channel, but watch out for boats!! You also should enter at slack tide because the current gets very strong when its flowing in or out. Also bring a knife because there tends to be monofilament lines you can get snagged on from people fishing off the old pier which is just north of the bridge. I've been snagged everytime I dove there.

Phil Foster park closes at night. If you're nice to the park range, they might be nice in return. A group from our dive club did a night dive about a month ago, and the park ranger tried to chase them away. They nicely talked the park ranger into letting them dive.

The park ranger did comment about getting permission to dive at night through the local Parks and Rec... If you get the OK via email... bring the email with you.

Be careful up there after dark. They don't just have single homicides at Phil Foster, they have doubles (last March, for instance). Hey, just like tanks!
Also, people drive somewhat carelessly after the sun sets - you may recall the two women who were hit on the bridge and knocked down to the beach.
You might want to appoint a designated shooter topside, and if you do see anyone dumping any large objects, either bagged or haphardly wrapped, do not offer to help lift anything out of a trunk or admonish anyone about littering.

HAHA! Thanks for those tips, I will keep all of that in mind. Is it a dangerous enough area to not even try? I really dont want to come back to the car to find no wheels on it and all of my stuff gone.

I was not exaggerating the homicides there. Riviera Beach is, ah, not that nice an area at night.

If you dive there this weekend, high tide is around 1:00 am, you should get to meet a few interesting characters. You do not want to dive this other than just before and during high tide.

Matt and I have spent some time at Blue Heron during day and also night dives. We have never been disappointed. We have never had any trouble with crime but we also don't leave anything in the car worth stealing. We have parked in the park and also on the bridge and dive the east side (near Singer island). Two small sunken boats... sometimes a manatee or two. Sea horses, rays, pin cushion stars, crabs etc. enjoy!
Mardie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom