First Liveaboard trip - what to take, what to leave behind, what to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you point to an example of what you mean by a watertight thin nylon bag? I read your post and I like that idea, but everywhere I look, I'm only finding women's handbags, and I don't think that is what you meant (or maybe you did?)

Only thing I remember having to do for myself was to test O2

I've been looking for a nitrox tester to bring with on my LOB - any recommendations? There are a few over at DGX that look interesting, but they seem kind of large to be dealing with regularly while diving. They have a really small one, but it requires you to use an app on your phone, which is not something I want to be fiddling around with on deck right before I get into the water. Chances of dropping the phone, getting it wet, or smashing it are too high.

Why not just use the boat's Nitrox tester?

Why not just use the boat's Nitrox tester?
If they have one... they might, I can find out. But I can imagine 30 people all getting ready to dive and passing along a nitrox tester means you gotta wait for people, easier to just test your own.

If they have one... they might, I can find out. But I can imagine 30 people all getting ready to dive and passing along a nitrox tester means you gotta wait for people, easier to just test your own.
That's a fair point, but perhaps not everyone will be diving nitrox or some will have their own testers. Also, there is plenty of time between dives for testing - it's not like you're on a 2 tank dive boat with a 45 minute SI.

That's a fair point, but perhaps not everyone will be diving nitrox or some will have their own testers. Also, there is plenty of time between dives for testing - it's not like you're on a 2 tank dive boat with a 45 minute SI.

That is a good point -- this is my first LoB, so I'm probably over-thinking all the stuff I need. I suppose there might be an argument to be made about an analyzer you don't control could have issues, or hasn't been maintained properly, or has water in it, or whatever.

As others mention - not everyone will be diving Nitrox or testing. On the LOB's I've been on the crew usually starts filling as soon as divers are back on the boat - by the time you get out of your wetsuit and stuff there's a good chance you'll be ready to analyze, and get your regs re-attached and ready for the next dive before you head in for a nap and/or meal.

Toiletries are easy, for men at least.

1. Toothpaste and toothbrush.

Done.

Hand soap on the boat will also serve as shower gel and shampoo. You won't need deodorant as you won't be exerting yourself above water. The same may apply to women, but looking at all the bottles my wife has in our bathroom, possibly not.

Can you point to an example of what you mean by a watertight thin nylon bag? I read your post and I like that idea, but everywhere I look, I'm only finding women's handbags, and I don't think that is what you meant (or maybe you did?)
You realize you're directing a question to an 11-year-old post?

That is a good point -- this is my first LoB, so I'm probably over-thinking all the stuff I need. I suppose there might be an argument to be made about an analyzer you don't control could have issues, or hasn't been maintained properly, or has water in it, or whatever.
You are definitely overthinking, no offense meant. :)

Don't bring the tester. I bought one specifically for LoB diving. It now sits at home gathering dust, along with all the other items I 'thought I would need'. I have yet to be on a LoB where using one was inconvenient or a problem (YEMV).

Also, its VERY unlikely that the O2% will vary much tank to tank; yes, you ALWAYS check your tank, but they're filling them in batches using the same system, and as said above they're usually done within 30m of being back on the mothership. Analyze your tank on your way to breakfast, or before a nap.

And that's the other thing to remember, take NAPS! You're on vacation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom