First independent dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What ? You have an opportunity to develop your skills bit by bit in a fairly controlled environment. Just because the lake is 90 feet deep, you never have to go that far.Scout the best entries, bring your snorkle only,next time bring your gear, go 20ft max one day, then 30, etc. Do it over a period of time.Plan it and stick to it .Do drills in shallow water. The most important thing is to gauge yourself, your partner, and how you interact. Can you trust this guy? Will he listen and communicate well underwater ? Don't find out at 90 feet on your first dive. Finding a buddy that you can depend on is a great thing.
Training has it's importance,but how did early divers ( that did not have a list of courses) get better ? They pushed their comfort level a little at a time, and they did as much research as possible. There is a lot of good advice on this thread as well as all over SB, go out there and have fun.

Shipwreckscanada

I think we miss communicated... lake and pond diving can be some of the easiest and most challenging open water diving in some ways. If you stay where it's nice it is the perfect novice dive site. If the bottom gets murky, the light fades just change course.

Have fun,
Pete

wow - looking at google earth you live in lake divers' Heaven

Shipwreckscanada,

I got thinking about it and all those lakes in your area look pretty pristine. You probably won't be finding much of the usual junk, anchors, beer cans, etc. but do you know any of the local history? Are there potentially any old logging, trading or railroad camps on or near the water?

Last edited:
Ops, same name wrong lake. Here is the Google map of the right lake.
Lac-de-L’Achigan
It’s not me that lives on the lake, it’s my fiend. I live on the island on Montréal. I will however search for more information about the activities around this lake to be better prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom