First gear purchase...need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a fellow new diver myself I would recommend a few things from experience.

First, don't buy a package, like most said packages are sold together for a reason an usually means some popular products paired with some not-as-desirable products to balance out prices.

Second, Back Inflate or BPW is the way to go. Jackets are great and you can achieve perfect trim and do all kinds of stuff with them but everything, again in my opinion, is a lot easier with a back inflate and give you room to grow into different skills, again, this is doable with Jackets but a bit harder.

Third, It is better to combine different brands and get exactly what you're looking for than go ahead and stick with a brand for the sake of buying a package.

Fourth, If you want to get gear but are on a budget, why not just save for a little longer and buy something better while researching during the time you're saving, this way you can buy gear that will be good for a while and you will continue to use for more advanced dives, that way you don't find yourself selling you package gear to buy what you really wanted.

Fifth, another money saving trick would be buying New Old Stock from stores like northeasternscuba, that's how I got my BCD and am more than happy with it.

Again, this is advice from a fellow new that has bought his own gear so take it with a care, I just think it's good to hear from both experienced and new divers alike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom