First gear purchase...need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not? Do you think Mares is poor quality? Can you recommend an affordable alternative? I'm on a budget with my first purchase, so my choices are limited.

As far as a budget is concerned, some people will go to any expense to save a dollar. In other words, purchasing less than optimal equipment will cost you more down the road when you realize it is less than optimal.

Mares makes good masks and fins, other than that, you can do better elsewhere.

I think the thing is that you have some cash to burn and there is this "package" that you can burn it on sends red flags up to me. It would be better to hang on, observe what experienced divers (who actually are experienced) in your area use, read, study, compare.

I do not like jacket BCs.

I do not care for Mares regulators.

I do not like consoles.

N

While you may not like Mares, many people do. Their quality is on par with every other manufacturer out there so in the end it's a simple matter of personal preference. Less than optimal is just another way of saying you don't like it and make it sound better.

While you may not like Mares, many people do. Their quality is on par with every other manufacturer out there so in the end it's a simple matter of personal preference. Less than optimal is just another way of saying you don't like it and make it sound better.

You have your opinion, I gave mine. Package deals, Mares aside, are often if not usually not the great deal people think they are. Most would do better to shop each individual item and make a cognizant decision on each item as to why it suits their needs, price and function. A "package" eliminates the need to make informed decisions on each item of kit, it is done for the purchaser. If you, like that way to purchase gear, you are welcome to your opinion. I do not recommend it.

So, in conclusion, as are virtually all such responses to similar "is this package a good deal" questions, they are opinions, I will stay with mine and please refer to item three in my sig.

I think the thing is that you have some cash to burn and there is this "package" that you can burn it on sends red flags up to me. It would be better to hang on, observe what experienced divers (who actually are experienced) in your area use, read, study, compare.

N

James

RamblinManta:
My local dive shop has a used package that includes a Mares Dragon BCD w/MRS weight pockets and built-in Octo, a Mares Abyss S2 reg, and ScubaPro 2 gauge for $650.
Very overpriced, for what you get.
RamblinManta:
I was looking on Leisure Pro and saw the Mares #1 package for $525 that includes a Genesis console, Mares Prestige Octo, Mares Rover Reg, and Mares Rover PRO BCD.
Like nemrod, I would recommend you stay away from a 'package', new or used. You seldom get what is optimally functional. But that is an entirely separate subject.
RamblinManta:
Would you recommend going for the new set up that's cheaper or the better gear that's used?
I buy mostly used gear, including a lot of regulators, and have only had one problem with used gear - a cracked second stage regulator housing that cost me all of $17 to replace. But, I can service my own gear, and I know what I am looking for. Used gear is a great way to go, IF you know what you are looking for, AND you are disciplined enough to pay only a reasonable price - many people posses neither characteristic. So, Pete's admonition about his preference for buying new gear is worth considering. I don't agree with it, but I have certain advantages that a newer diver may not have.
Why not? Do you think Mares is poor quality? Can you recommend an affordable alternative? I'm on a budget with my first purchase, so my choices are limited.
Mares quality is good. I have a used Mares first stage (MR12) that is now >10 years old, and it performs VERY well., My concern with Mares in the US - getting Mares parts in a predictable, reliable, and timely manner is difficult. I prefer Apeks and Zeagle for regs, because I have had good experience with them. While I like my Mares reg, I would not buy another one (because of questions about the manufacturer's reliability in delivering parts, not the reg quality).

, My concern with Mares in the US - getting Mares parts in a predictable, reliable, and timely manner is difficult. I prefer Apeks and Zeagle for regs, because I have had good experience with them. While I like my Mares reg, I would not buy another one (because of questions about the manufacturer's reliability in delivering parts, not the reg quality).

That is my particular concern with Mares regulators but I do not particularly care for the BCs the OP asked about either. Perhaps the parts issues have been dealt with. Unlike many on this board I do not think every diver needs to pursue tech or use a BP/Wing and a Hog rigged regulator. Optimal equipment performs well in the environment for which the user intends to use it, is serviceable down the road and I like streamlined configurations (which rules out consoles) with an eye to simplicity. And, where applicable, is travel friendly.

N

Probably a L to XL.

Did some more research and found a BC that I've actually used before. The ScubaPro Glide Pro. My LDS sells and services ScubaPro, and I found a new one for about $300. Might be a better alternative to the Mares package.

I would almost recommend this setup: Regs and BCD for a budget. However, I'd honestly recommend at least LOOKING at a BP/W before you make a purchase.

Questions that need to be asked: Is there a reason you're purchasing gear? Do you have a final end-goal for scuba diving that's not just recreational diving?
Before you buy ANY gear, answer those questions.

If you want a good back inflate I've got a like new Aqualung Dimension i3 for $375. I thought I could put together a full setup for you but my friend is getting certified and might need it.

I also saw an AL legend in the classifieds. Really good stuff. And a few good deals on scuba pro regs.

I don't know enough about Mares but many divers regret buying a jacket bc instead of a back inflate. However if its what you like it should be good gear.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom