First gear purchase...need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RamblinManta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey , guys. Newbie here. Certified last May and have 12 dives so far. Taking the AOW class right now. Looking to make my first purchase of gear and needed advice.

My local dive shop has a used package that includes a Mares Dragon BCD w/MRS weight pockets and built-in Octo, a Mares Abyss S2 reg, and ScubaPro 2 gauge for $650.

I was looking on Leisure Pro and saw the Mares #1 package for $525 that includes a Genesis console, Mares Prestige Octo, Mares Rover Reg, and Mares Rover PRO BCD.

Would you recommend going for the new set up that's cheaper or the better gear that's used? The used gear has about 25 dives in fresh and salt water on it.

I have to agree with Netdoc on this one. You never know how something used was actually treated and cared for and I second the classifieds here on SB... Just rember used is always buyer beware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, guys. I may just try to see if my LDS can match or at least come close to the Leisure Pro price on the Mares package.

Check with www.Scubatoys.com also. And call them...sometimes they can do better than advertised prices.

You might also want to google Mares AirTrim and see if you still want one. IMO it adds more complexity for relatively little benefit.

Personally I've found 2 of those Mares weight pouches at different dive sites in 2 countries over the last 5 years. Usually right below the boat near the mooring. None recently so maybe they've improved that. A buddy lost one of hers walking thru the surf line one dive. But she doesn't have a Dragon.

Both of those BCD's are jacket models also. Not good or bad, most people learn in jackets so they're comfortable with buying one.

Do they still sell the Rover Pro or is it discontinued? IDK if it matters much but it doesn't appear on the current Mares.com BCD page.

A lot of people prefer back-inflate models since the bulk of the air cell is behind you while diving. I know a lot of divers who've switched from the jacket they learned with to back-inflate - I know one who switched back.

Zeagle makes a good line of back-inflate models if you want to compare - other mfr's do also I just like/use Zeagle.

If price is a major consideration then stick with a Mares jacket. (or Oceanic, Aeris, others) Most back-inflate BC's are a little more expensive.

Of course whatever you buy should be able to be serviced locally.

Last edited:
I wouldn't purchase any of that, new or used. N

Why not? Do you think Mares is poor quality? Can you recommend an affordable alternative? I'm on a budget with my first purchase, so my choices are limited.

Just trying to be practical here. Has the used package been serviced, and is it warranted, by the shop? It seems the issue with buying used is that you have to spend ~ $100 for a service to make sure it is up to snuff. If the shop has already serviced the regulator/octo/bcd and warrants it, to me, that changes the equation.

It's all been serviced regularly but to my knowledge there is no warranty.

Will the shop let you test drive the used gear? Nothing wrong with used gear, but you won't find all the problems until you get it into the water. For $650 I'd want to know it's good, not suspect it's good. If they won't let you dive it, I'd probably lean towards a good new equipment package deal online that includes a basic computer.

The Dragon is a good BCD. I know two people who have them and love them. Both have over a hundred dives on them. Neither has had issues with the weights releasing on their own. Neither uses the hybrid LPH/octo either. Both have a standard regulator for their octo, which would add to your costs to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom