First Gardens trip to run in 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35:
About how much does a trip to the Gardens run?

When is the next trip down?

My trip is March 17-18 on the Spree. I can't wait Hammerhead time!!!

Jay_SMART_Diver:
You can also check the Gulf Diving website for the full schedule for both boats. Prices vary from $395 for a Thursday/Friday trip to $445 on Sat/Sun on the Fling (add $65 for Nitrox) or $550 for the Spree (Nitrox Free).
The more roomy Spree sounds nicer. I read somewhere they charge more for 130 cf Nitrox fills, but if its' free - is there a surcharge then?

I'm going with SingleDivers.com in mid July. :crafty:

Ok I just got a call from Capt. Frank!!!! There are sharks everywhere!!!!! I am so excited!!!! We have a trip Feb. 24-25 and one March 17-18! I am so ready! :D :sharkattack:

I hope someone posts a trip report and some picts.

Willie

Capt. Frank will update the website tonight or tomorrow. I think the trips will book quickly now that we have the first report back. I already had someone book with my shop for the gardens tonight. I love sharks! :hai:

never got over 6 feet. There were no buoys on the West bank and it was too rough to set them, so we headed off to the East bank and got in the water about 8:30. The first dive revealed that we had hammerheads, tigers, and spotted eagle rays. With the tigers present, there was no longer any pressure to make the night dive, so only three dives were conducted during the day. The water and air was cold enough that no-one complained about missing 2 dives, and there were plenty of big critters to go around. Vis on the Est Bank was over 100 feet, and current was slack. Pic's can be seen here at the Zendiving Website (http://www.zendiving.com/forums/showthread.php?p=86851#post86851), sorry, I don't know how to make the link clickable. The wind settled considerably through Saturday, and by afternoon it was cold, but the waves were down to 3-4'. Overnight, we steamed to Stetson and started diving at 7 AM in 2' seas. Hammerheads and dusky sharks were seen by crew and passengers. During the surface interval, the wind came up, as did the current. Vis on the first dive was 60 feet or better, the second dive vis dropped to 20 feet or so. The ride home was rough, and seas were back to 6 feet or so by the time we reached the jetties. The divers were very complementary regarding the changes we have made to the boat this winter, and the hot shower and head off the main deck was VERY well received. The gremlins that had crept onto the boat during the winter did not affect the dives or the divers (always a concern on the first trip). All of the heaters, air conditioners, air compressors, etc. etc. ran like a champ. The gremlins were in the engineroom and generator room, but held off until we were docked, so the passengers never noticed. In all, it was a perfect first trip of the year, and one of the earliest trips we have run in many years. Remember, spring trips are NOT for brand new divers, although we did have some first salt water divers on this trip. Most divers are not fully prepared for the cold and potentially rough water. It's okay to abort if you're not ready for the dive, as the trip leader from one shop said, she got her lost mask, lost regulator, and got her mild panic attack over with on the first dive so that she could enjoy the rest of the trip. We hope to see you on the Spree during shark season, and, of course, the rest of the season also. And Don, nitrox is included in the trip price, regardless of the size of your cylinder

Frank

Attachments

• D070210A_7928.jpg
    D070210A_7928.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 70
  • D070210A_7931.jpg
    D070210A_7931.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 70
  • D070210A_7949.jpg
    D070210A_7949.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 74
  • D070210A_7957.jpg
    D070210A_7957.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 60
And Don, nitrox is included in the trip price, regardless of the size of your cylinder
Thanks, and for the report as well - interesting. Couldn't see the pics without registering for the site, but sounds like a nice adventure. I'm looking forward to lazy boy summer diving. :D

Thanks for the report Capt..

AHHHHHHH!!!!! Tiger Sharks, Dusky, Hammerheads!!!!! I am so there!!!!!!!!!!! Troy wonders if I just don't like adrenaline diving between the ice diving and the shark diving....I wonder?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom