First drysuit -- help! Santi, O'Three, Apollo...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you recommend being meausred by a Santi dealer, or is it really possible to get properly measured at home based on written instructions and diagrams? I haven't seen Santi's measuring instructions, but I have seen DUI's. Is there any trick to it that requires a dealer's trained eye or judgment, or can one really get properly measured at home and then order entirely on-line? DUI lists some tips, like have someone else measure you, stand up straight, relaxed, etc., but not much beyond that.

One who sells would be better but here is a vid from Santi

I went to my local tailor also.

How to measure? | SANTI

Hello:

Of the three mentioned drysuits, you should go with the Santi Ladies First. The Ladies First is a mirror image of the E. Motion, tailored to the physique of a woman. Just like the E. Motion, it has a reinforced seat, reinforced arms and durable knee pads that are very flexible. The Flexsole boots and large cargo pockets are excellent. Range of motion and flexibility in the E. Motion is excellent. Since you're in Seattle, you will most likely use the heaviest undergarment available (thinsulate 400gm). Santi does cut their suits aggressively so make sure to try the suit with the heaviest undergarment you are going to use. Do factor the need for layering, such as vests.

However, if you are considering the Santi Ladies First, you should also consider the offerings from DUI, such as the TLS or the Flextreme. These two suits are quite similar to the E. Motion in material and weight. You'll have local support from a US based manufacturer to whom you can directly send your suit and be assured of a fast turn around time. Should you need to send the Santi back to Poland, you will wait about 6 to 8 weeks.

Whichever you get, make sure it fits you perfectly. A drysuit that is too small will seriously limit your range of motion, where common tasks/movements maybe impossible to perform. A drysuit that is too large traps air and makes gas management difficult.

O.

Santi E.Lite was my second suit. If it was the first, I would have saved money.

So buying the Santi the first time will ultimately save you money. Try both men's and women's style to find best fit.

A properly maintained drysuit will last you a very, very long time.

Don't limit your thoughts that a drysuit is just for cold water diving. A trilam suit with a proper undergarments will allow you to wear the suit in wide range of temps. So instead of having 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm+ suits, I use the three layers of undergarments of the Fourth Element's layering system. Here is the layering guide. (Drybase, Xerotherm , and Artic)

The trick with high temps is getting the suit wet when fully suited. So as soon as you suit up climb down the dive ladder a few rungs. The water will have a cooling effect as it evaporates as you gear up. Between dives drop the upper part of the suit and tuck cuffs into the thigh pockets to keep them from dragging on the floor. :)

Go with the standard dump valve placement. Dive in trim with valve open. Just inflate drysuit enough to relieve squeeze and use BCD for buoyancy.

Good tip, thanks, yesterday I noticed no matter how hard I tried my cuffs would occasionally hit the ground and I was wondering how to prevent that. Never thought of tucking them into my pockets. Thank you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom