First Drysuit Experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what size you need, but I have a pair of Turtles with spring straps I'd part with.

Turtle Fins are very popular with dry suit divers. They seem to fit well with Dry suit boots. Spring straps are a must for getting them on and off w/ Dry suit boots

I use Silicon spray on my Fins so my DUI rock boots glide on and off easily.

I have bought a drysuit with integrated boots, I know this is much less common in US, but one of the first thing I noticed underwater is that I had the impression I could not follow the others anymore ! So I decided to change my fins and went to turtle fins... I would never go back to my old ones unless I really really have to ! I found them much stiffer so they did not loose power. Go for it :D And don't be afraid to go xxl as they are tight... I only went to XL, they can be tricky to take out after 1h-1h30 in our cold waters in NE...

You might want to try a set of ankle weights if you haven't yet. Some people like them, I used them for a while, I can take or leave 'em. Others I dove with liked them. I guess it depends on your BC / Wing setup, main weights and where you wear 'em. Enjoy, I'd rather dive dry unless I'm 1000+ miles south of where I usually dive.

Drysuit material makes a big difference... I had a heck of a time putting a tiny hole in my Bare HD trilam suit when I tried installed my p-valve, and I was using a brand new sharp hole punch, a 5 lb. mallet, and a hardwood block. I'm a big guy, and it took 30 heavy swings to punch through. Even then, I needed an X-acto knife to finish it. Needless to say, "damage" is not something I'm particularly concerned about.

Drysuits aren't just for cold, they're also for deep. There are solid arguments to be made for consistent buoyancy at depth, and redundant buoyancy if BCs rupture.

Matt,

You are so correct, "drysuit material makes a big difference". However, I'm also talking about failure of valves and seals. Many dives have been called for these reasons. Yes, you can repair/replace, but on "tide dependent" dives like I do, you must dive on time. Also, for the great durable drysuits like Whites Fushion - WOW - look at the price tag!!!

Yesterday, I just picked up a like new SeaQuest 7mm farmer john for less than $100 through craigslist. It'll be a backup to my torn up jetty diving O'Neil farmer john.

I think deep tec diving would be another excellent reason for a wetsuit. I would not want to be down there with a bp, numerous tanks and equipment without redundant ways up!

But for my diving, the only reason to go with a drysuit would be in polar bear country like the OP.

I'm also talking about failure of valves and seals.

No argument there... drysuits have a lot of advantages, but they also add a lot of items to your equipment bag(s), and introduce a lot of failure possibilities. I recently tore a wrist seal, and would have been S.O.L. if I didn't have dry gloves. As it is, the nipple on my inflator valve needs repair, and I've had to deal with a bit of sogginess and disconnecting the hose after each use when I use it in the mean time. Wetsuits are MUCH easier to deal with, but there's nothing like being warm, dry, and extra safe on a deep, chilly bottom.
I'll bring my suit over to my lds and see if the xl jets fit, if not I'll look into the turtles.
As I said, if you do want to check out the Turtles, let me know. I'll give you a good deal on a used pair.

IF anyone is looking for a great deal on a like new drysuit.
For sale: A mint condition Diving Concepts Drysuit Z-Flex Trilam w/Cordura outershell extremely durable with size 12 HD boots. Heavy duty seals and zipper protector with Apex valves. Suit was used twice one year, its in brand new condition size XL. Sold new for over $1500 make me an offer. I have other items if interested. Contact me for more details or photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom