First Drysuit.. advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I have started shopping for a drysuit, and since I am new to DIR and new to drysuits, I need some help.
I was thinking of getting a USIA Aqua Pro Plus http://www.usia.com/consumer/?p=2
and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything about it that was anti-dir?
From what I understand it is a shell suit, self-donning (with zipper in front), with a left shoulder exhaust.
Are there other things that I should be looking for that would or would not make this dir-compatible?
Is the exhaust on the left shoulder the preferred placement?
They also offer the choice of latex or neoprene seals, is there any reason to pick one over the other?
Thanks for any advice. I can only afford to buy one suit, and I want to make sure that I don't get one that turns out to be non-dir for some reason.
Thanks.

USIA tend to be baggy....I tried it once at the DEMA show. that's bad. true DIR suit is a custom suit. DUI 350 seems to be the choice. I tried 3 suits before finally buying a TLS350 and biting my elbows that I didn't do it the first time around. However, you need to get a person who knows how to do the measurements right or you will end up being miserable regardless of which suit you get.

Jasonmh:
Hi all,
I have started shopping for a drysuit, and since I am new to DIR and new to drysuits, I need some help.
I was thinking of getting a USIA Aqua Pro Plus http://www.usia.com/consumer/?p=2
and I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything about it that was anti-dir?
From what I understand it is a shell suit, self-donning (with zipper in front), with a left shoulder exhaust.
Are there other things that I should be looking for that would or would not make this dir-compatible?
They also offer the choice of latex or neoprene seals, is there any reason to pick one over the other?
Thanks for any advice. I can only afford to buy one suit, and I want to make sure that I don't get one that turns out to be non-dir for some reason.
Thanks.

It's not black.... and the boots are built in.

Don't forget that DIR is rooted in a particular context. Is that context relevant to your diving?

R..

With that said I also dice a DUI 350 and find it brilliant. It is worth the extra money for the zip seals so they can be replaced by yourself saving both time and money.

Jasonmh:
Hi all,
Thanks.
There's nothing inherently not-DIR about that suit ... but there is some validity to what Vadim said about the way they tend to fit. I have seen some that were cut more close-fitting, and I suspect that's more a function of the way the suit is measured ... and the overall shape of your body ... than anything else. If it's measured properly, cut properly ... or if you're one of those lucky people who can fit a stock suit without custom-fitting, then go for it.

Personally, I prefer left-shoulder placement for the dump valve ... I have no idea what the latest official DIR preference (i.e. what George has most recently decided he wants to use) might be ... I don't read the lists that define the "official" DIR take on those things. I do know that a couple years back a wrist dump was all the rage ... but all the DIR divers I know have stopped using them.

Neoprene seals are generally more comfortable, but they're more expensive as well ... I prefer latex. They're easier and cheaper to replace ... and you WILL be replacing your seals from time to time.

If having a DIR suit is truly a concern, do yourself a favor and order the book "Dress for Success" by Dan McKay ... you'll find a thread at the top of this forum that'll tell you how. Ignoring the many typos and minor grammatical errors, it's an excellent resource for defining the criteria for a DIR-style drysuit ... and there is specific information on how to make sure your suit will fit you properly. That's by far the most important thing to consider.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OF COURSE personal fit and comfort matters, but since even I was able to determine that was obvious I didn't think I needed to ask it. What am I supposed to do, ask "Hey I found this drysuit that is completely uncomfortable and doesn't fit, should I buy it?"
OK, now seriously, thanks to the people who commented about the fit and about baggy being bad. I do realize that the fit/sizing is important. They offer a custom fit (where they size every part to your measurements) for only a very small extra charge. So, assuming that I do get it sized right, I was wondering if there was anything else that I should be concerned with.

I am just asking for more specific information. Sometimes I see questions on this board (the DIR board) answered with "Ask your instructor" and/or "take the class" and sometimes a "you can't learn this stuff on the internet". The problem for me is that, 1- I don't have an instructor, and 2- I would love to take the class, and signed up and paid for a DIR class this weekend (Nov. 5-7th), but the class was canceled because I was the only student who signed up.

I am just trying to learn. So far, everything that I have learned has made very good sense. Things that I have picked up from JJ's fundamentals book, this board, diving with DIR minded people, the Quest list, Dan McKay's book, etc. has shown me that in just about every case that I can think of, there is a VERY good explanation about why something is recommended over something else. Those explanations I would not have been able to come up with on my own, not have the talent, expertiese, diving experience, etc. that others have. So my hope was that, for example, if i ask if the left shoulder is the preferred place for the exhaust valve, that someone might say, "no, we put the exhaust value on our left ankle because of these 3 reasons...." Then at least I have some information to think about and evaluate, and go "hmm.. those reasons make sense and I had never thought of that.. that seems like a better solution than what I was thinking" or "That makes absolutely no sense, you must be smoking crack, and I am not going to do it".

Also, of course, I am trying to keep from having to buy things twice. There are people on here all the time lamenting that only if they had known ahead of time they would have avoided XYZ. I don't want to pay 1500 bucks for a suit and then find out that I maybe had a better option but because I didn't know what to look for I ended up with something that I am not happy with. That should sound familiar with all the posts on here about "If I knew then what I know now I never would have bought that computer..BC..quick realease harness...etc. If you tell me, "if you are interested in DIR you should go get a BP&W setup" and I show up with a bungied wing with a quick release harness, and you say " I didn't mean THAT BP&W setup. (God help me, it is just an example, lets not start the bungie arguement) IN OTHER WORDS: sometimes the details count.

So I feel like I know 80% of what I need, and of course that includes fit, accessories, undergarments, etc., but, for lack of a better way to explain it, I don't know what I don't know. So I am trying to get advice, hoping that a DIR instructor, or someone with more experience than me, would be nice enough to help fill in some of the gaps.

You should have heard some of the crap I got from people when I switched to the long hose. I live in the desert, with probably the lowest number of DIR divers in the country, so if I was trying to fit in I would be diving with my AIR2 and and my BC with the plastic buckles (which have come apart on me twice while diving, btw). I fully realize that equipment is only a small part of DIR, but I am shopping for a drysuit today and not buddy-awareness skills, so that is why my question is about equipment.
"then I hope he can appreciate being challenged to rise up and look at the big picture a bit", that is a good point, and I do appreciate being challenged, that is why I am doing this. If I didn't want to be challanged I would be satisfied with mediocre diving skills. Nothing in my post says that being DIR is my only consideration, but this is the DIR forum, so...

I appreciate the responses, but jeez.. you guys can be a tough crowd sometimes :)

oh, and FWIW, this still is not everything in my head, for that I would need atleast 2 pages..double-sidded AND single-spaced, yeah... I got alot going on up there

I just bought the usia aqua pro plus, but with a rear zipper, and I have loved it. It is not baggy on me and it is a stock size. I am tall for my weight, but I tried on a bunch of suits and found the perfect fit for my type. The dealer was also very helpful in sizing me. Have you tried on the stock sizes? I think they also do semi customizing that is less expenxive if a full custom suit is not necessary. I have no clue about DIR and what is needed for it, but the suit works for me and have always heard great things about from anyone who owns one. Good luck on your first drysuit.

Hi Jason.
I believe that some of the posters may not have realized which forum they are in!

Everyone! This is a question asked in the DIR forum about what is acceptable for a DIR diver to use for a drysuit. As I am not DIR I am going to leave the thread alone for now - but I fully expect a DIR Mod to do some editing in here very soon as even to me some of the answers are NOT compatable with the forum rules. If you cannot give a DIR answer please refrain from posting further to this thread.

If you can, please do. It doesn't seem to me that the original posters question was hard to understand.

edit: Jason, please don't feel that you have to defend yourself for asking such a question in this forum. You are in exactly the right place to get your answer. In spite of what many think, DIR divers can be friendly and helpful - especially many of those we have around here. (Where's JeffG when you need him!)

"Jason, please don't feel that you have to defend yourself for asking such a question in this forum. You are in exactly the right place to get your answer. "

It's no problem Kim, I wrote my response in good humor, I didn't take offense or mean any in my reply, and don't mind hearing other people's views. Thanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom