First Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recently told that Santi has reduced the cost of their stock suits, but the custom surcharge has increased.

Interesting. I don't know if it's changed, but Santi allowed up to some number (I think it was four) of alterations, such as sleeve or leg length, for the stock price. If you needed more than four, then you had to get the custom suit at the custom price.

seam quality

How does a shopper identify a high-quality seam versus a low-quality seam? I mean, what do we look for and what do we avoid?

How does a shopper identify a high-quality seam versus a low-quality seam? I mean, what do we look for and what do we avoid?

the best thing to do is ask guys that have used the suits in person since very few buyers will have the ability to inspect suits in person as well as evaluate the reputation of the company/dealers when it comes to who has had to use the warranty.

the best thing to do is ask guys that have used the suits in person since very few buyers will have the ability to inspect suits in person as well as evaluate the reputation of the company/dealers when it comes to who has had to use the warranty.

Are you saying that whatever it is that makes seams fail is not easily observed? So, for example, I couldn't just inspect the seams and tell how likely they are to fail? It's the adhesive or something?

The seams sure LOOK nice on my Santi, compared with what looks (to my untrained eye) like sloppy seams on suits I have seen other divers using. Maybe appearance isn't everything.

In any case, I'm not in the market for a new drysuit so long as my Santi holds out. But I'm not beholden to Santi. In the meantime, I'm happy to educate myself about what to look for when the time comes for a new suit.

@Lorenzoid most people aren't going to be able to tell and with the amount of seams on a drysuit it would take someone who knows what they're doing several hours to inspect each side of each seam.

If your santi is one of the newer ones and they've addressed it then that is good to hear. They used to have some brilliant quality but the 14/15/16 suits as mentioned above had a lot of issues

Hello, I know there are probably hundreds of the same threads, but am looking to purchase my first drysuit. Live in NE and am 5'9" 190 with wide shoulders. I currently have a XL 7mm Henderson wetsuit and am looking at the Aqualung Fusion. Anyone that has this suit that could give me an estimate of what size i would need? And is it worth paying the extra for the Aircore? I have always lived by buy once, cry once and don't want to wish i had spent a few hundred more a couple years down the road. Thank you.
I have the Fusion in the tech skin (Whites version- before Aqua Lung purchased them). I have hundreds of dives in it, both here in So Cal and in the Pacific NW. I could not be more pleased. Perfectly dry every single dive. I have the silicone seals from Waterproof with the SI Tech wrist and neck seal system that allows me to replace the seals, if needed, in about 2-3 minutes, if that. In 3 years, I have had to replace the neck seal once (just recently and that was my fault for not clipping my finger nails) and my right wrist seal, once also. For undergarment, I use the whites thermal fusion. I am 6'2" and 210 lbs. My suit is the 2XL/3XL size. You could probably go down a size from that (Large/XL). I would also recommend contacting Dive Right in Scuba- they are very knowledgeable about these drysuits and I wouldn't hesitate buying from them also. The beauty about the fusion is that they accommodate various heights and weights and eliminate the need for something custom fit. I personally love the front "U shape" brass zipper. Very easy to don and doff by myself. I have never needed anyone's assistance to get in and out of my drysuit. As for the Aircore, I can't give an opinion. My suit was pre-Aircore and I haven't looked to see what the price difference is. Give some consideration to the type of "skin" you choose. As mentioned, I went with the Sport skin for its inherent light weight and I haven't regretted it. I have used a Bullet skin and whereas it is very burly and heavy duty, it is also much heavier when wet or dry and reduces range of motion slightly compared to the stretchy sport or tech skins. My sport skin has held up extremely well and I have had no need to consider replacing it and I am not that easy on it. If I were in the market for a new drysuit, the other brand I would seriously consider is Waterproof, which I don't think anyone has recommended yet. I have friends that have Waterproof drysuits and absolutely love and rave about them and you certainly can't argue with how awesome looking they are (if aesthetics means anything to you). :wink: DRIS also sells the Waterproof brand, so again, good people to talk to about the pros and cons.
ALSO: I believe the fact that my seals have been so long lasting is that between dives and after washing my suit in fresh water, I liberally coat my seals inside and out with Billiard Talc powder prior to storing.

i have just put in an order for the Sealskin Nova with all the bells and whistles. this is my second drysuit. hope it is a wise selection. my first was the original Scubapro Evertec cordura. good suit but money was an issue when i first bought this and i found it used and it seamed to fit good.Not great. was dry for the first year then started having seam problems. i am a big guy and the selection of suits for us weird sized people is limited. Santi was high on my list of suits. Most suit manufacturers do not do MTM or if they do they are 4k plus. the Sealskin seemed to fit the bill and for less than 2.5k.
my 2 cents worth.

I have a VIking Pro suit and love it. I know I am in the minority here but it is what it is.

Dry suit is an illusion :wink:

4 years regular cave diving in a Fusion Bullet and dry everytime. Proper suits don't leak!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom