First Dive with Hubby!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CindyMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
At 54, "firsts" are few and far between, but yesterday was the first time my husband and I dove together since I certified in June. It was fun, funny and frustrating!

We both were diving for the first time with full face masks. Mine was terrific from the start. Hubby had a tougher time. He had overtightened the top strap (he apparently didn't read the part about not making a large adjustment on this strap) so he leaked a lot of air from the top of the mask. Our faces stayed nice and warm and dry. Field of vision was awesome and didn't have to worry about it getting knocked off. Loved breathing through my nose! On the second dive, hubby's face mask was better adjusted and he was thrilled! It was also my first time with a hood. Stayed warm, but didn't like the confined feel.

We were diving in our local quarry (Lake Norman PDRA) and conditions were ok. Did a weight check on me and it was decided I needed more weight. I was already carrying 10# (5# each side) in front (Zena by Zeagle BC) and 6# (3# each side) in back pocket (recommended from last dive). Another 8# (4# each back pocket) was added. Boy, did I sink!!! Looking back on the dive, I believe I was overweighted. On the first dive I had some decent buoyancy, but on the second I was either way heavy (on the bottom). With the addition of just one little bump more air (after a couple of small bumps), I was heading upward. Cannot believe I am posting my weight, but for the sake of help - 187lbs, 5'3". I felt like I was having to inflate/deflate more than I should.

We were tagging along with an open water class and the instructors did not think I was appropriately fitted to my Zena (I tend to agree after measuring myself this am). They said it looked like the shoulders were about 4" too low. I was sold a large by a LDS. Looks like I need at least a Medium in shoulder section. I might even need a smaller front piece, as I noticed my straps were snugged all the way.

First dive for both of us with our new air integrated TUSA Zen Air. Loved it! I use a Mac and download was flawless for me. Hubby was very frustrated with his Windows download. It showed his dive times as 3 minutes for first, 4 minutes for second. I downloaded his computer onto my Mac and it was flawless. Learning curve - and hubs is very impatient.

It was my first dive with Nitrox and I loved it! Felt ever so much better. Still tired, but not completely drained. The class, however, was another story. Horrid, horrid, horrid! Not the only who felt this way....the dive shop owner is very aware of this - his girlfriend was in the same class and she was irate, as was my already certified hubby. I managed to pass. After working with ventilators, nitrous and heliox for 5 years, the physiology was simple.

As always, I enjoyed the practice. Did not enjoy having more buoyancy problems, but I do understand that will come with diving as much as possible. Hubs has also been put on notice to never, ever touch my inflator/deflator hose (why does that sound so wrong???). He was trying to be helpful, but I really got aggravated. Must be the nurse in me.

im not a expert, but it does sound like you are weighted to heavy. when i first started, i was also quite heavy. i ended up dropping about 12lbs from what i was setup with before it felt right. also, if your bc feels ok except when inflated, and on the surface, you might want to add a crotch strap. when adjusted properly, it will keep the bc from riding up in the shoulders.

Shortly after my wife and I started diving together we decided that we should go our separate ways.
We couldn't agree on which certification agency was better, we couldn't agree which type of fins were better.
I couldn't even get her to agree on whether we should use steel tanks or aluminum.
She would argue over backplate and wings versus jacket bc and if that wasn't enough, she was a Penn State fan.

Moral of the story: There is none, this is just a tale of what could happen

DMDavid, too funny! My husband and I took about a six month "time out" from diving with one another, right after I got certified. I went one direction, he went another. Eventually he saw the light and joined me :)

My wife has high blood pressure and claustraphobia. It must be nice to have a "built in" buddy. For me it's always instabuddyville.

You need to take a road trip. My GF is my normal buddy and I have her in a drysuit now but she still is not going for the ice dives and Great Lakes Wrecks in 40 degree water.

My wife is my buddy. I couldn't be happier about it. When she thumbs a dive, there is a good reason. Otherwise, she's good to go. Has never said a word, when I thumb a dive.
She's even into pointing out things for me to take pictures of. Getting pretty good too!
But (as said) it took a few (50) dives before we found that happy median.

An advantage of my wife being my dive buddy is not having to justify gear purchases, since it's OUR hobby, not MY hobby. A disadvantage is inevitably having to buy two of everything.

Congrats on diving with your spouse.

My wife was my dive partner for our intro to scuba class. She hated it, I loved it. Now, she only makes two demands of my scuba diving. One, I come home safe after every dive. Two, I never ask her to try diving again.

So, I turned my 14 yo into my dive buddy. She also did an intro to scuba class at 13 on vacation. Even better since I now have an excuse to dive on vacations. Really honey, our daughter wants to dive. I have to make sure she is safe! Works very well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom