First dive with Dry Gloves. What to expect? What to watch out for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like a bungie or bit of tubing better than leaving the thumb loops from the UG under the seal, because if you DO spring a leak in the glove mating surface, or in the glove, it's really easy to take the glove off and pull out the bungie. Stuffing the thumb loop back under the seal is much more difficult. And being unable to get that done means a very wet UG by the end of the dive.

it's really easy to take the glove off and pull out the bungie.
Brrrrr!!!!! I couldn't stand the cold water and even worse is having to try to do it in trim :wink:

Stuffing the thumb loop back under the seal is much more difficult. And being unable to get that done means a very wet UG by the end of the dive.
I found with both of my drysuits I can pull the thumb loop back in to seal off the wrist so my suit doesn't flood. I start by always barely putting the thumb loop through the wrist seal. If like last time fishing line sliced my glove, I was able to go into true PADI form, kneeling on the bottom, deflated my wing, inflated my drysuit with my exhaust valve closed, and with lots of air in my left arm point to the sky, work the thumb loop down. I have had to do that twice now and succeeded both times. No way am I taking my glove off underwater to fix anything.

Since 96% of my diving is cold water, I am most always in dry gloves, and go through a set of gloves an liners fairly routinely. Spending $16 is okay, but can't imagine spending the money for ZIP gloves. Plus I need to be able to leave my drysuit on, zipped up, yet have bare hands.

I have tried the SI Tech gloves & they never worked for me,... always leaked, so I had my drysuit retrofitted with Zip Seals so that I could change out between regular seals & gloves in minutes. If it works for you, as TS&M mentioned,expect some squeeze. Expect some loss of dexterity, that might make prepping to dive a little more difficult, until you get a slight squeeze in the water. Other than that, expect warmer hands!:D

Which version of the Sitech glove system do you have. If its the quick glove press on system, you should try the QCP glove lock system. After repeated failures of the quick glove system, I changed to the QCP glove lock system and have been happy ever since. Unlike the zip seals, you can have both the wrist seal and the QCP dry gloves at the same time. This means you can leave your gloves off until after you suit up or even put them on while you are in the water.

Back
Top Bottom