First Dive with BP/wing Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I had a chance to dive my new Halcyon rig for the first time yesterday...Lake Rawlings, VA - vis 20-30ft, 70 degrees at surface, 63 at the nice warm part, 50 or so past the thermocline...buddied up with herman and his crew from NC.

First the bad

1) had an inflator hose go on me...leaking right around where it snaps to the inflator. Luckily, I had a spare and we changed it...no problems with the new one.

2) The OPV/dump valve stuck open on me a couple of times...didn't notice at first, but when I went inverted I felt bubbles streaming down my legs and experimented around for a couple minutes until I figured out what it was. I tugged it again and it closed...will have to keep an eye on that to see if it happens again (Pioneer 27# Halcyon wing).

3) Surface inflation...when nearly fully inflated it throws me hard on my face. Took a little getting used to to keep my head out of the water without finning...on the second dive I moved my weights (standard weightbelt) more toward my rear and it improved. Anyone using trim weights? The halcyon ones are like $21, but I could just strap a 2# on myself...opinions?

4) Not really bad, but I need more practice working the bolt snaps underwater...especially after we passed that 45-50 foot thermocline! :D Brrrr...

Now the good stuff

1) Underwater horizontal position was excellent...although dive 1 was more fraught with task loading, by dive 2 I was able to maintain buoyancy and negotiate swimthroughs with ease.

2) Rig was very comfortable underwater... I was using 10lb on my weightbelt (5 mm full with cap/hood, fresh water, AL80)...air consumption was right up there with the more experienced divers on the dive, but I am not sure if that was the rig or just my increasing comfort underwater. Very little effort needed to propel myself through the water...one frog kick would send me flying it seemed like...

3) Bungee backup was easy to deploy...although herman and I didn't do OOA drills (sorry, UP), I was switching back and forth between my primary and backup regularly and had no problems (Apeks ATX50 primary, TX50 backup).

That's about it...thanks to herman (and his wife, Tony, and Dave) for an enjoyable day and acting as my safety divers while I screwed around with my setup...

Originally posted by O-ring
3) Surface inflation...when nearly fully inflated it throws me hard on my face. Took a little getting used to to keep my head out of the water without finning...on the second dive I moved my weights (standard weightbelt) more toward my rear and it improved. Anyone using trim weights?
Before spending money on trim weights try moving your Aluminum :)rolleyes: ) tank down in the rig... and do you really need to inflate the wing to max???

I dive with a steel 104 and a 27# wing and fully inflated it does not push me forward at all.

I talked to someone already that mentioned I may be overinflating the wing...I am going to give it another go in a couple weeks after a few adjustments and see how it works out. Will try that...

--E

Glad to hear you liked it. As for the valve issue, I recommend contacting EE and letting them know. They were very responsive to a quality issue I had with a pocket.

You should not really need to completely inflate the wing at the surface, as far as pushing you on your face, remember that the bp/wing is actually designed for diving, not hanging out on the surface. (IMO)

You may be able to drop some of that weight. That sounds like a lot right off to me, you have a SS BP right?

I have tried the keel weights or putting them on the tank, they worked OK, but just seemed a bit "busy" to me.

I'll give you a shout next time I go up there. I was down at Rolesville with a whopping 7' of visibility.

Tommy

Originally posted by O-ring

3) Surface inflation...when nearly fully inflated it throws me hard on my face. Took a little getting used to to keep my head out of the water without finning...on the second dive I moved my weights (standard weightbelt) more toward my rear and it improved.

Moving weights around should help alot!

Anyone using trim weights? The halcyon ones are like $21, but I could just strap a 2# on myself...opinions?

Don't bother with the Halcyon trim weights. They are absolutely worthless (some may even say dangerous). They don't hold the weights securely unless they are stuffed full, and are a very poor design. However, if you're convinced on buying them, I've got two pair I'll sell *reallly* cheap. ;-P

Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom