First Dive Trip to Bermuda - Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everybody, virgin poster here.

I'm heading down to Bermuda in a couple of weeks, staying at the Southampton Fairmont. I've never been there before, but I'd like to ask you guys for any tips, must sees, etc. There looks to be a TON of wrecks, any advise on a "top ten"? Other dive locations? Recommended dive shops?

Also, i'll be borrowing a friends MotoMarine II for the first time. From what I understand (don't know anything about UW Photog) - drop in the wide angel lens and try to shoot upwards and everything should be okay. Any tips on u/w photo 101?

Thanks much in advance! Can't wait to get wet!

Also, I'd like to dive doubles during my vacation there, how much a pain in the ***** is it going to be to get a dive shop to set that up for me?

D.

No one has been to bermuda? C'mon divers! What's the scoop on what I hear is the best wreck diving in the carribbean?

D.

Daylonious:
Hey everybody, virgin poster here.

I'm heading down to Bermuda in a couple of weeks, staying at the Southampton Fairmont. I've never been there before, but I'd like to ask you guys for any tips, must sees, etc. There looks to be a TON of wrecks, any advise on a "top ten"? Other dive locations? Recommended dive shops?

Also, i'll be borrowing a friends MotoMarine II for the first time. From what I understand (don't know anything about UW Photog) - drop in the wide angel lens and try to shoot upwards and everything should be okay. Any tips on u/w photo 101?

Thanks much in advance! Can't wait to get wet!

Also, I'd like to dive doubles during my vacation there, how much a pain in the ***** is it going to be to get a dive shop to set that up for me?

D.

daylonious,
you have heard correct.
there are many wrecks off bermuda.
most of them are some what shallow.
you will enjoy your trip.
the people there are very gracious hosts.
while there check out the swizzle inn.
regards,

I was just there two weeks ago, and did four dives with Blue Water Divers--excellentm professional service. I believe that Dive Bermuda operates out of the hotel where you're staying, and I've had good luck with them, too.

The boats will pick sites every morning, and usually do one wreck and one reef. Marie Celeste and Hermes are nice wrecks on the South Shore, where you are, and there are many more. The reefs are nice--lots and lots of brain coral, but not as many fish as you'd see farther south.

I don't know about doubles--you should call one of the shops in advance to see if they can arrange to take you to one of the deeper wrecks.

Bermuda is wonderful--you'll love it.

Doubles would be overkill for Bermuda, most of the wrecks that the shops take you to are relativly shallow.
If you can try to hit the Hermes, Minnie Bresular, or the Mary Celeste. I've dove with Blue water divers, and Triangle divers. Both were really good. During a two tank dive they'll probably dive one wreck, then a reef. Regardless of what sites you dive, you'll enjoy it.
After the dive make sure to hit the Swizzle Inn for your post dive cocktails. Just don't drive the moped afterward.

Have fun!

joeabroad:
I was just there two weeks ago, and did four dives with Blue Water Divers--excellentm professional service. I believe that Dive Bermuda operates out of the hotel where you're staying, and I've had good luck with them, too.

The boats will pick sites every morning, and usually do one wreck and one reef. Marie Celeste and Hermes are nice wrecks on the South Shore, where you are, and there are many more. The reefs are nice--lots and lots of brain coral, but not as many fish as you'd see farther south.

I don't know about doubles--you should call one of the shops in advance to see if they can arrange to take you to one of the deeper wrecks.

Bermuda is wonderful--you'll love it.

Hi Daylonius,

Joeabroad is right, Dive Bermuda does operate a shop at the Fairmont Southampton.
You take a "jitney" style bus- they orbit the hotel property form early morning to late night- a 3 minute ride, never leaving hotel property, and you are at the shop.
They also have a shop in Hamilton, and set out from there to dive other sites.

He is also correct about the dive sites, wrecks, coral formations, and the fact that doubles would probably be overkill.

It'a a beautiful island, with many great people.
enjoy your trip
Mike

Hi Daylonius,

You won't see any doubles at any of the shops down here in Bermuda. As others have mentioned, most dives are quite shallow so you will get plenty of bottom time at the sites the operators take you to. Dive Bermuda is a great operation, and the guys at the Southampton Princess are competant, friendly, and laid back, so will have a great time with them.

One piece of advice: water temp right now is about 82 degrees, and will likely drop a few degrees by the end of this month. If you are one to get chilled easily, especially with bottom times near 60 minutes, you may want to have a full 3ml suit, as opposed to a shorty suit or nothing at all.

Enjoy Bermuda!

I wasn't planning on taking a suit down there, but thanks for the tip. I'll pack a 3ml just in case.

I also understand that it's lobster season down there? Any chance of going on a bughunt?

D.

tbg:
Hi Daylonius,

You won't see any doubles at any of the shops down here in Bermuda. As others have mentioned, most dives are quite shallow so you will get plenty of bottom time at the sites the operators take you to. Dive Bermuda is a great operation, and the guys at the Southampton Princess are competant, friendly, and laid back, so will have a great time with them.

One piece of advice: water temp right now is about 82 degrees, and will likely drop a few degrees by the end of this month. If you are one to get chilled easily, especially with bottom times near 60 minutes, you may want to have a full 3ml suit, as opposed to a shorty suit or nothing at all.

Enjoy Bermuda!

Daylonious:
I also understand that it's lobster season down there? Any chance of going on a bughunt?
D.

It's my understanding you need to purchase a permit to catch lobsters down here, and it is illegal to do it with scuba gear.

I'm pretty sure you can catch bugs if you do it with a locally licensed operator (again, not on air though).

Doubles are waaaay overkill... not only are the dives shallow, but most of the wrecks have been flattened by wave action to the point where penetration is not really an option.

You'll love the island, btw. Try to check out St. George at the far SE of the island... the original settlement. My wife and I were going to get married there, before deciding to elope to Harbour Island in the Bahamas. :) If you ever intend to go back, you might want to take a peek at the resorts that are built with cottages instead of a big hotel building; we've liked both 'Ariel Sands' and especially 'Horizons and Cottages'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom