First dive of the year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The ocean has been calm for three days. I hoped that would be enough for the visibility to improve after weeks of storm waves. We took our boat out for the first time since repowering. The gauge worked fine on the way out, but stopped showing our fuel on the way back in. It gives me something to do tomorrow.
🙁

Visibility at Golf Ball Reef was a hazy ten feet. The steel barrel we use as a landmark was knocked over. I tried to stand it up but it was too heavy to move. The swells were much stronger than I am. I didn't find much to photograph. Nudibranchs and small fish were either swept away or hiding under rocks. Merry Passage had a different dive.
She found an Ingram's Shaving Cream bottle from the 1920s or 30s. While that is pretty exciting, that wasn't what made her scream. A Gray whale swam next to our anchor chain. Merry has now seen a great white shark and a whale under water. I'm still at zero.

1674865652237.png

1674865671875.png

Chlamydoconcha orcutti, Orcutt naked clam

1674865717333.png

1674865735433.png

Diaulula sandiegensis

1674865773509.png

1674865850189.png

Simnia arcuata

1674865881929.png

Possibly a Pinto abalone. This was half the size of a dime.

Off topic, but what did you repower with? I am thinking of swapping to smaller new engines next year.

We swapped out our 2009 Honda 150s for the new models. We had to replace the wire harnesses and gauges with the Honda HD-4. I'll try to figure out the issues tomorrow.

for the new models.
Y I K E S !! That's a $40K pair of diamonds that won't fit on Merry's fingers.
Always appreciate the lobster pictures !!

We swapped out our 2009 Honda 150s for the new models. We had to replace the wire harnesses and gauges with the Honda HD-4. I'll try to figure out the issues tomorrow.
Gotcha. I am contemplating dropping down to 200s

Seems I have now learned of a new... well new to me dive spot. Golf Ball Reef! ty for the pics as always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom