First dive in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EYGarth Huett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Howdy from Katy, Texas. Wife and I are hooking up the 5th wheel for a trip to Florida in December. Since I have never had a dive in Florida, I was looking for some recommendations. We will have a week in Florida.

Thanks

For easy diving, head to Key Large and Islamorada. I dive with Conch Republic Divers and Rainbow Reef. There are lots of easy shallow reefs

For more advanced drift diving and increased chances of seeing turtles, sharks, Goliath grouper and other big stuff, head to Jupiter, WPB or Boynton. I like Jupiter Dive Center, Narcosis, Splashdown and Underwater Explorers

Oh yeah, if you are driving and don't want to go so far, Panama City Beach diving is decent. Not as good as southeast Florida or the Keys but still fun. The wrecks and bridge spans have lots of Goliath grouper. I like Panama City Divers and Divers Den. I'll be diving with Scubatech out of Destin in a couple of weeks: I've heard good things about them

i'll be the one to not say "Keys". For my money the absolute best diving in florida is from Jupiter to Palm Beach. The diving is diverse with shallow reefs, wrecks, deep ledges, and striking seascapes. And the area is known for it's wealth of BIG sealife. Turtles are everywhere, thousand pound Goliath Grouper will come say "hi", several species of sharks abound. Plus we get buzzed by dolphins and even the occasional whale and whale shark.

Plus we have better and less expensive hotels than the Keys. I found my dive paradise right here.

PenneKamp in Islamorada is probably the best overall in my opinion BUT, you will be paying for being in the Keys. My go-to places however are anywhere from Stuart south. Blue Heron Bridge (there's a thread on the board here) is renowned. Jupiter/Riviera/ West Palm Beach all offer some really good diving. You can shore dive off of
Stuart fairly easily I'm told. Loggerheads are in season now but if you time it right, you can catch the Goliath, sawfish, or lemon shark aggregations. There's some amazing stuff. One diver on the boat last week saw a GW briefly.

...Wife and I are hooking up the 5th wheel for a trip ....

...the absolute best diving in florida is from Jupiter to Palm Beach.

A great state park campground near Jupiter is Jonathon Dickinson
Campground Details - Jonathan Dickinson State Park, FL - Florida Department of Environmental Protection

On your exit out of Florida, I'd recommend an overnite stop and fresh water dive to fully rinse your dive gear at sparkling clear Ginnie Springs. It's very close {15 mins} to interstate I-75 and camping there has full hookups too. ScubaTank fills & complete rental gear is onsite.
Home - Ginnie Springs

We also have a 5th wheel and love to travel. For what it's worth, when we go diving in Key Largo, the 5th wheel stays home.

My greatest advice is to make sure you have a confirmed reservation before you hook that puppy up...especially in DECEMBER...in FLORIDA.

I think you would have more options in the Florida panhandle (Panama City Beach) area, but December would probably not be the best time to dive there.

Whatever you decide...good luck and have a great time!

Your profile says under 25 dives and Open Water is your certification level.

I love Jupiter, but deep drift diving with viz. not as great as some places and typically dove with nitrox is not what I'd recommend. Granted, I don't know you guys and you might do fine. I just want you to know what's involved.

I can link you a trip report for Jupiter, Key Largo, and my one time stop at Blue Heron Bridge. DAN's Alert Diver Magazine has an online article on Blue Heron Bridge that looks good.

Richard.

Oh, one more thing...you're talking December, winter. I don't go that time of year; anybody care to comment on what kind of weather & water temp.s/conditions are typical at the places we've been talking about that time of year? It won't be so much fun if you get 'blown out' 3 or 4 days.

Richard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom