First Dive in 3 weeks! Maui a good choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey gang...I just signed up a few days ago. Great site!

Me and my wife are doing our training right now and our first Dive is going to be in Hawaii, we are going to be there for a week on vacation and wanted to get some Scuba done but we are'nt sure if thats a good place to do it where we will be. We are going to be at the Hyatt in Maui.

Of course the obvious concerns for us is SHARKS! Not sure if thats taboo thing to talk about here on the forum but I just did anyway. Is there any discussions or advice on how to avoid encounters and diving in Maui?

Thanks in advance!

Gene

Maui is a great place for diving, whether you're a beginner or advanced diver. If you want to boat dive and want to stay close to Kaanapali, I'd recommend Lahaina Divers to you. They are very professional and do a great job with beginners. Just tell them you're newly certified and the DM's will give you extra attention. You definitely want to go to Lanai and dive the Cathedrals...it's an experience you'll never forget. Extended Horizons also goes out of Lahaina, but I've never gone with them since they're quite a bit more expensive and run a smaller boat. I prefer the big 46' Newton dive boats that Lahaina Divers runs to Lanai because the crossing can be pretty rough (especially coming back at 11:30) and I'm prone to seasickness problems. But that's just a personal preference, I have nothing negative to say about Extended Horizons.

That said, I'd really recommend if you want to dive Molokini Crater (which you really should), it's much better to drive down to Kihei and catch a boat down there. It's about a 40 minute drive early in the morning, but with the boat ride being only 15 minutes to Molokini, it's well worth it. B&B is a highly recommended operator in Kihei and everyone says they do an excellent job with beginners as well as advanced divers (just ask Al or Tim!).

For shore diving, a really great (and very easy) dive is Black Rock at the other end of Kaanapali Beach from the Hyatt (in front of the Sheraton). Max depth is 30 feet or so and navigation is a snap. You simply keep the wall to your right on the way out and to your left on the way back. You can either rent tanks from the kiosk at the Sheraton (they are only AL64s and expensive but convenient) or you can get AL80s from Maui Dive Shop at Whaler's Village. You definitely don't need a guide to dive Black Rock, that's for sure. Actually, right in front of the Hyatt is a decent reef dive called "Black Ball", but I've heard the swim out can be challenging (I've only done the dive from a boat). I'm sure the Hyatt could arrange guided shore dives for you if you want...I know there's a kiosk next door at the Marriott that does shore dives right in front of the resort.

Kidspot is an excellent resource and if he's around, he's usually more than willing to meet other board members for a dive. Have him take you to Mala Wharf...great dive!

As far as sharks in Hawaii are concerned, I don't really think you have anything to worry about. We've seen both White Tips and Nurse sharks and neither cares much about us when we're diving. We leave them alone and they leave us alone.

As a side note and not specifically related to diving in Hawaii, my husband and I did a shark feeding dive in the Bahamas a couple of years ago. We were in 50' of water, overweighted, kneeling on the bottom while 3 guys in chainmail fed the sharks. There were approximately 30-40 Black Tip Reef sharks ranging in size from 3' to as long as 6'. As we were watching, the sharks were bumping us with their fins, one ran over the top of my head so close his stomach rubbed my head, and another almost knocked my husband's mask off. They would swim between us (and we were only 6" apart) and knocked one guy completely over in the sand. At NO time were we anything but other "critters" in the water. They didn't see us as food for many reasons, the biggest ones being that we didn't act like food (injured and/or erratic), and frankly, we're too big to be considered prey they would hunt. Were we 100% safe from a bite? Heck no, you're dealing with wild animals and can never consider yourself 100% safe, but frankly we were safer from being bitten by a shark than we were from being stung by fire coral in the Caribbean.

Thankd DiveMaven....thats most helpful.

We dont plan to dive by ourselves so we would like to go out with a DM somewhere simple for this trip. We also might hit up that 750,000 aqarium shark dive, that looks interesting.

One question on ettiquette since we are just starting and never dived, do you tip the Dive Master on an outing typically?

If he does a good job, then yes :)

btw drop me a PM when you know your travel plans and if I'm free I'd be glad to show you some of the local diving.

DiveMaven pointed out a lot of good sights for first dives.

I've only ever seen white tip sharks here, and only at Mala Warf (there are 2 resident white tips there I believe) and Molokini - They usually are more afraid of you, than you are of them, and they don't get real big (6' max) Once you see them in the ocean, you see what beautiful graceful animals they are, and fear quickly fades into awe.

Again, feel free to drop me a line about diving together while here.

Aloha, Tim

DiveMaven and Tim have already done a good job of answering your questions. I have done a couple of shark dives with the same experience as DiveMaven. My wife and I were doing one of her first ocean dives on St. Anthony's wreck (between Kihei and Molokini). She was a bit nervous about sharks. Just as she was swimming around the bow, a white tip came around the other side. They both surprised each other. Since then, she no longer worries about sharks (although Great Whites and Tigers still make her nervous). Maui is a great place for you to visit. Have a wonderful time!

Gene,

DiveMaven hit it on the head; my son did his OW checkouts with Lahaina Divers; highly recommended for new divers, if you don't have a car you can catch a shuttle from Whaler's Village to Lahaina. After my son did his checkouts we did a ton of shore dives, the one's around Kaanapalli don't really require a guide, he made his maiden Night dive at Black Rock in front of the Sheraton; we got more than a few funny looks as we pushed a shopping cart full of our gear from the Whaler [our condo] to Black Rock :D. Definitely do the Cathedrals at Lanai with Lahaina Divers; it's a must dive IMO, you won't want to miss! We were shark shut-out; would've loved to see one, not a Tiger or White grant you, I would've soiled my wetsuit, but a white tip would've been nice. I didn't get a chance to do Molikini Crater or any of the shore diving sites down Kihei and Makena way; just gives me something to look forward to in about...15 months :11:

Garrett

scrapdizzy:
Thankd DiveMaven....thats most helpful.

We dont plan to dive by ourselves so we would like to go out with a DM somewhere simple for this trip. We also might hit up that 750,000 aqarium shark dive, that looks interesting.

One question on ettiquette since we are just starting and never dived, do you tip the Dive Master on an outing typically?

You're more than welcome. :D One really cool thing about Hawaii for beginner divers is that ALL boat dives are guided. Both Lanai and the inner crater of Molokini are excellent sites for beginners. Max depth is usually about 65' (or less) and with viz typically being anywhere from 60'-150', you'll feel very comfortable.

Believe me when I say that Black Rock is such an easy dive that you won't need a DM or guide. If you've never done unguided dives before, Black Rock is a great place to do your first one. You won't have to worry about navigation and can just enjoy the shallow (and long) dive. On our last Black Rock dive, we saw 2 Eagle Rays, 3 turtles, an octopus, some cleaner shrimp, nudibranchs, and LOTS of fish. It was really one of our better dives and it was relaxing because of it's very nature.

One thing I didn't mention about diving in Hawaii is that you'll definitely want to do morning dives/charters. The trade winds pick up around noon, making for potentially choppy conditions. The big advantage to this is that you'll be done diving by around 11am to noon and will have the rest of the day to do other things (except Haleakala). The afternoon charters with Lahaina Divers does the West Maui coast, but that's when they have all their "Discover Scuba" and cruise ship folks on board. They are typically the most crowded charters and aren't very enjoyable IMO.

Now all that said, if you don't mind driving, hook up with Shaka Doug in the Kihei area for some great guided shore diving. He has his scubabus with everything you could ever need for shore diving and everyone raves about his service and guide expertise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom