First Dive Computer Oceanic GEO 2.0?? OCS??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It comes with a strap extension, don't know why pjhansman found it unfriendly.

The strap is fine with a wetsuit but....quite simply put....sucks when trying to use it over a drysuit. I have a trilam suit and while the extension makes the strap long enough, with the plastic strap its difficult to know how much it can be tightened. And if the strap breaks, bye bye computer.

Both my wife and I use the Geo 2, and both straps needed replacement in less than 150 dives.

The strap is fine with a wetsuit but....quite simply put....sucks when trying to use it over a drysuit. I have a trilam suit and while the extension makes the strap long enough, with the plastic strap its difficult to know how much it can be tightened. And if the strap breaks, bye bye computer.

Both my wife and I use the Geo 2, and both straps needed replacement in less than 150 dives.

I understand, I use the extension with my 7 mm wetsuit but do not dive dry. My strap has been quite durable so far with more than twice the dives you were able to get. Your mileage my vary.

Best, Craig

The first thing I did when I got my Geo 2 (and also my Aeris) is replace the standard strap with a NATO/Zulu strap. It is really the only fail safe strap (as far as a pin breaking, I suppose if the clasp broke that's a different problem). It allows you to have a long strap that fits over a 7mm wetsuit.

Look up NATO or Zulu watch straps to see the benefit of these as a way to protect against the loss of the watch/computer in case a pin breaks.

I wear these on my regular dive watches too.

I just got my geo 2.0. Does anyone know whats the latest firmware update for geo 2.0? mine says ''r 1H''. is that the latest? what do you guys have?

I have a GEO that I have used for a backup on several dives. I also have 2 broken Suuntos in my desk from broken depth sensors. I prefer Oceanic now.

For me and my 100 dives I have used Oceanic computers with no problems. I don't know if they still do or not but when I bought my OC1 there was a code that gave you access to Dive computer training. The video's are very helpful and much easier to understand than trying to sort through the paper manual. The video shows you what the screen will look like when some type of violation is encountered. It certain made it easier for me. If it doesn't come with the free training, I think it is well worth the $8.00 to get access to it. Both the Geo 2 and OCS are available.

Dive Computer Training

I dive an Oceanic VT3 as my primary computer. I dive a Geo 2 and a SPG as backup.

I've had the Geo 2 nearly 3 years and 312 dives. It has been flawless, one easy battery change to date. It comes with a strap extension, don't know why pjhansman found it unfriendly. I find it too big for a watch. It's the easiest Oceanic computer I've owned to operate, have been diving Oceanic since 1999 and am quite fond of the DSAT decompression algorithm for recreational dives.

I recently purchased the GEO 2 and made 4 dives while on vacation... odd thing is that two of those dives were recorded in the "History" section and two were recorded in the "LOG" section. I'm not sure why or how to fix that, but I did find the computer helpful and did wear it as a watch while on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom