First Dive compartment surf board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
last night a guy stopped buy I have been climbing in the trees cutting limbs in between diving at my house. We got to talking he wanted this nice oak door I had so I took it to his house and seen this guy hanging in his barn for almost 30 years. I got it down with him we were drinkin beers doin shots and washed the dust off and I played with it today i have this guy that is amazing with pics and he did a bunch of shots also. I think this thing is great I can lift my self easy about 50# and you move across the water with just your arms. I changed camera setting so well see how many pics show up.

It needs a little repair as it leaks a little, there is an enclosed at each end if storage floods.

I thought I would just silicone glue the seam and try it for freediving before doing a full out fix and paint job.

Does any one remember this kind of surfboard? 30, 40, 50, years ago???

Attachments

• DSC06117.jpg
    DSC06117.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC06098.jpg
    DSC06098.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC06099.jpg
    DSC06099.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC06100.jpg
    DSC06100.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC06101.jpg
    DSC06101.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC06102.jpg
    DSC06102.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC06103.jpg
    DSC06103.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC06104.jpg
    DSC06104.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC06105.jpg
    DSC06105.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC06106.jpg
    DSC06106.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC06107.jpg
    DSC06107.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC06108.jpg
    DSC06108.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC06109.jpg
    DSC06109.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC06110.jpg
    DSC06110.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC06111.jpg
    DSC06111.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 129
If it's fiberglass, I would bet on the Yakboard from the '70s or so. I had a RoYak and the compartment and fittings are a match.

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

sam 20' past me is a wall to 150' then at a bit of leveling there are walls that get deeper the it bottoms out at 105 Fathoms.

Yakboard I like the name, it has a guy riding a bronco imprinted on it, I will seal some leaks and when water is ruff I will see how I cut through the sea.

Sam you see why I am diving every day, plus vis has been outstanding for over a month.

Bob did your have a bronco imprinted in the fiberglass. was yours easy to move across the water with your arms. I really like how this thing handles. and this is coming from a RIB and inflatable boat diver.

can not find much on it on the net. Think a kick ass paint job is warranted and just use it. its another flat calm day out there, so in a week or so there should be some seas to try it out.

There are a lot of guys that use vintage glass boards like this around here. There was a smaller model for sale at the LDS a week or two ago that looked in decent shape if anyone is interested.

What is the history of Yakboard and RoYak?

There are a lot of guys that use vintage glass boards like this around here. There was a smaller model for sale at the LDS a week or two ago that looked in decent shape if anyone is interested.

What is the history of Yakboard and RoYak?

Akimbo The story behind the ROYAK is that Roy Grabenauer built the first one in 1968 out of a metal airplane wing fuel tank. He started his company in 1972 and it was the beginning of the original sit on top kayak. His son currently runs the business in Orangevale, CA. I remember seeing a lot of ROYAKS on the NorCal coast during the 70's. They were loved by ab divers & spearfishermen. I currently have a 1975 model and it still works great. The design hasn't changed much from the originals. Check out the ROYAK website. There is a good story on the history there you might enjoy.

Royak Marine - The official ROYAK web site - Buy Online!

Those boards were the very first style of dive board used by spearfishermen and ab divers.
Other models are Lighthall and Smith boards.
I fixed one for a guy (can't remember the brand) and the thing was almost 20' long! and weighed 95 LBS!
The models I know about have a very turned up bow so from the side they almost look like a snow ski. This was done so that it would be easy to go over bull kelp with a moderate swell running.
Since the Ocean Kayak came out hardly anybody uses these anymore since they are limited in propultion options and are not as versitile as sit on top kayaks.
One benefit is they were good in the wind since you layed low and didn't become a kite.

I have a friend with a shoulder injury that makes paddling a kayak painful, but he can paddle a surf board comfortably. It looks like the new Royaks are sit-on-tops that use a paddle… unless I missed something.

I see those old boards with turned up bows in town a lot. I will ask the owner the next time I see one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom