First Dive at Aurora Res

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mpscubatoytech

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did the first dive at Aurora Res. on Firday 9 Apil the water temp was 39 vis in the first 20 feet was 25 at bottom it was 8 feet nouthing new at bottom that we could see did not see fish but there were alot of mudbugs

39* wow would have figured it would be a bit warmer by now.

That's crazy....Couple degrees cooler and you'd been Ice Diving. Hopefully it will warm up and the snow will quit flying. Time to start the local diving. How much did they charge you for park entry? I saw some other postings saying it was going up this year.

I don't know what the daily entry fee is, but you can check at auroragov.org (searach aurora reservoir). I'm pretty sure that the daily entry fee did go up. The season entry pass is $55 for Aurora residents, and $65 for non-residents. The scuba beach placard is $10 per day or $150 for the season (if I remember right). You can get the season entry pass on line as well, and it only takes a few days to receive it. I think that you can also get the season scuba beach pass on line as well.

We will have to plan a group trip, or three.

We generally do a RMO dive in the spring at Aurora, and I guess that time is here.

I think we may want to wait a bit for things to warm up, it should not take long.

Hi Gang,

I was Mpscubatoytech's dive buddy that day. It *was* 39, so at this point drysuit required. :cold: In fact, he had on neoprene gloves and nearly froze, so he picked up some dry gloves the next week. :cool2:

Hey Ron, what's an "RMO Dive"...? Just curious.

A few additional notes about Aurora Reservoir:

1) I *think* this is new, but they now *require* a surface-marker buoy, so be sure to take one along.
2) They also offer night-diving with a week's advance notice and special permit (which I'm *certain* they charge for).
3) If you are doing a "Stress and Rescue" course, they require advanced notification (I *think* it was a week or so).
4) There is also a requirement that if boat diving, they want you to fly the ALPHA flag on the boat (that's a new one).

As far as the dive itself goes, frankly it was short because of the aforementioned lack of dry-gloves (remedy in place now), but I personally *really* enjoyed it. As he said, not a *single* fish showed up for the party (although there were a LOT of fishermen, and those with float tubes were hovering at the edge of the SCUBA area and casting into it - man that frosts my drysuit underwear). The Crawdads were out in droves though - and because of the cold water, they were particularly slow (no backward tail-shooting for them) so they were very easy to catch and take pictures of...I know, it's cheezy, but hey, that's what we had to work with. The vis on the way there was between 12-20 feet at times, and at the plane it was about 8 feet. The temp at the surface was around 42 degrees and at the plane was 39 degrees...there was no thermocline, just a steady drop of 3 degrees on the way down. I love it when you come up and your face and mouth are numb, so you sound like Bill Cosby's rendition of "The Dentist". :rofl3:

We recovered our "hidden hydrocache" and are refurbishing it now to replace here in the next week or so...for more information send either me or Mpscubatoytech a message.

Regards,

-S

Hi Gang,

When Mpscubatoytech and I went in Aurora a week ago, it was AWESOME! I'm pretty sure I haven't seen better vis there from what I remember. The temp was 46, and I personally didn't see any fish, but he did.

There's a particular crawdad I've been trying to get to come out of his hiding place for some time now. Apparently it takes 46 degree water to be able to get to him quicker than he can get away from you. I just wanted to get a snapshot of him with something to compare for size. Well, here it is...

CLAUDE.jpg

Now keep in mind these are inflated, insulated dry gloves, so they are pretty large to start. That said, his left claw that you can see here is somewhere around 3 inches long. He's ENORMOUS. ...and yes, I put him back after I was done snapping photos. :wink:

The funny thing is we were in the dive shop after sharing our photos, and of course the owner says to us, "What did you name him?". So the first name that pops in my head is my boss's brother who I recently met - not because of his name, but because he's 6'5 and built like a football player, so I'm thinking huge...however, his name is (you'll love this)..."Claude". So the crayfish's name is Claude, completely by accident. Needless to say it garnered quite a laugh from the crew.:rofl3:

Regards,

-S

I'm taking my drysuit up to Flatirons tomorrow to get the wrist seals replaced... so I might be up for aurora in a week or so when I get the suit back!

Thanks for the updates!

Last year, my Aurora dive in June the vis was about the same 8 at the plane but about 15' overall. Very enjoyable!

:)

Hi Gang,

If anyone is interested, Mpscubatoytech and I are planning on diving Aurora Reservoir tomorrow for most of the day. Just get a hold of us or post here and we'll look over the form tonight to gather anyone who wants to join the flock.

Regards,

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom