First Deco Dives at Forty Fathom grotto to 150'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just finished the Adv. Nitrox and Deco course today With GDI.
All I can say is I thought Intro was bad.
It's not so much bad as different.
First dive: max depth was 154' Had a hard time getting started.
I thumbed the dive at 15' Good thing Rick is patient. He asked me what the problem was and I told him I felt like a monkey trying to hump a football. I had practiced with the bottles 3 times in shallower water before this and had no problem but I guess the thought of actually going into deco and running the plan at depth really had me worked up. I took a minute to compose myself double checked all my gear and went to the 20 ft platform to work the kinks out of my trim. That wasn't hard I loosened my waist strap and lowered the tanks a bit. swam around for a minute and gave Rick the OK lets descend sign. Once again Rick was patient with me. We descended slowly down to 150' kept to the original dive plan that called for 25 min at 150. Boy didn't take long to get into deco. At 25 min we started our accent and followed our written dive plan using computers as back up. Did all the required stops and everything was fine till I deployed the lift bag. Then trying to control my depth and not wail around like a fool was tough at 20 ft. We used 40% for deep deco gas and the changed to O2 at 20'
Total dive time was 53 min.
1 hour SI::::
Now the second dive: I adjusted some of my gear and we used the same depth and gasses for this dive. Ran the dive plan and this time we clipped off the O2 at 20' and the nitrox at 80' This was a fun dive. No problem at depth and the nervousness was gone. ran a little deep on this dive Computer showed 152' but I never seen it. I think I lowered my arm. followed the written dive plan and pick up gasses on the way up. But when we hit the 10 ft mark the computer said we weren't clear yet but plan said we should be. We had 6 min at 20 and 8 at 10ft. but the computer says we had another 10 to go at the 10 ft mark. We stayed just in case and cleared the computers. Total dive time 64 min.
All and all a very interesting day and I learned allot.

A message to P2 the training we did at Denton with bottle control and exchange was nothing. I won't need a sleeping pill tonight. I will be there with you when your back gets better :)
Fred

excellent report, and way to go fred

if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing

fgray1:
A message to P2 the training we did at Denton with bottle control and exchange was nothing. I won't need a sleeping pill tonight. I will be there with you when your back gets better :)
Fred

Thanks for the report Fred and Oh Geez, just what I wanted to hear!!! As if I wasn't nervous enough about the deep dives at 40 Fathoms and that silly lift bag deployment... :shakehead ...sigh...

I am humbled everytime I clip on a deco bottle and hang out in a nice quiet little nook in one of my favorite systems. Let us hope that Rick's patience continues to be as steady and strong as it always is...he will need it when he gets me into 40 fathoms....tried to talk Rick into finishing up our dives at LR instead of 40 fathoms but no joy... :(

My back is almost back to normal - I was supposed to get a couple of nite dives in at Ginnie this Wednesday nite as a tune up (plus I have always wanted to dive the system at nite...) but as soon as I let the meds wear off this am the back started up again...so my first actual dives will be this weekend in Luraville.

Looking forward to seeing you this Saturday and working through our dive plans!!!

Over cookies of course... :wink:

StarrySkies:
Thanks for the report Fred and Oh Geez, just what I wanted to hear!!! As if I wasn't nervous enough about the deep dives at 40 Fathoms and that silly lift bag deployment... :shakehead ...sigh...

I am humbled everytime I clip on a deco bottle and hang out in a nice quiet little nook in one of my favorite systems. Let us hope that Rick's patience continues to be as steady and strong as it always is...he will need it when he gets me into 40 fathoms....tried to talk Rick into finishing up our dives at LR instead of 40 fathoms but no joy... :(

My back is almost back to normal - I was supposed to get a couple of nite dives in at Ginnie this Wednesday nite as a tune up (plus I have always wanted to dive the system at nite...) but as soon as I let the meds wear off this am the back started up again...so my first actual dives will be this weekend in Luraville.

Looking forward to seeing you this Saturday and working through our dive plans!!!

Over cookies of course... :wink:

Go easy with your back. I have had problems for years. The Meds WILL FOOL YOU INTO BELEIVING YOUR FINE.
I had to sit out 3 months last years because I thought I was fine. Don't rush yourself. The water will still be there. Your doing the worste kind of diving for your back.
If my back even gives a sign of hurting I won't go.
Just some advice from someone that cares.
Fred

Congrats on finishing the course. Great report.

-Grier

I am surprised that your instructor took you to 150 ft twice within about an hour. I myself would have planned the second dive to be at least 33 ft shallower than the first. And I would have waited 3 hours, rather than only 1, during the surface interval.

I like your EAN40 / 100%O2 combination. I like to set the mix of the first deco gas to coincide with my first deep stop, making it as rich as possible. It sounds like your first deep stop was around 100 ft. I like to finish my deco at 20 ft with 100%O2.

Congrats on finishing this part of your tech curriculum.

You will love trimix. Its easier to breathe (less effort through your reg) at depth, your head is clear at your MOD, and you feel better after your dive.

North coast diver (I can read your post so I'll answer it). We planned the dives and ran the profiles through the computer. We checked the it against the Navy tables and we calculated the amount of gas needed to ensure enough if we had to stay longer. when we dove we used the Tables to plan the dive and the computer to back it up. If the tables cleared you before the computer you stay until the computer clears. If the computer clears before the tables say your clear you stay until the tables are clear. On the second dive max depth was 152' but the average depth was around 142' at depth.
We did 10' stops starting at 80' on the first dive and 90' on the second. The dives were very conservitive with a plus 2 rating. which means 2 extra minutes were built into the plan for deco.

fgray1:
We planned the dives and ran the profiles through the computer. We did 10' stops starting at 80' on the first dive and 90' on the second. The dives were very conservitive with a plus 2 rating. which means 2 extra minutes were built into the plan for deco.

Fred, I opened the deco planner again this evening to play with some further profiles and it is unresponsive. Is this one of those teaser deals where the program self destructs after five minutes? (Bear with me - I am a little medicated...) :bonk:

...and can you bring a copy of the plan you dove last Sunday so we can discuss?

p.s. How about all the fireworks over on Simbrooks' cavern report?

"p.s. How about all the fireworks over on Simbrooks' cavern report?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom