First computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splash92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok guys,

Off of my other post I need a computer. So here it is, what's the best for a casual OW diver that plans on expanding to advance and nitrox certifications. Console vs Wrist? Any complications with salt vs fresh water? User replaceable batteries? Etc.. Cressi Leonardo and Giotto have been mentioned a lot in my area. However Deepblu CosmiQ+ Is another brand I've heard tossed about.

console vs wrist. always wrist. means it isn't tied to your regulator and it's easier to use

salt vs fresh. computers use pressure to determine your deco algorithm not depth. Depth is a multiple of pressure so your accuracy is +3% if you have it set for one vs. the other. Most computers use some standard salinity that is somewhere in the middle. At 100ft, it may say 98 and you'll be at 99 or 97. It's close enough

User replaceable batteries is clutch unless it is rechargeable.

This deal is impossible to beat for a new computer until @Deep Six comes out with their computer *hopefully later this year*. You really do want to spend the $20 for the DSS bungee mount. It makes a huge difference in my opinion
DG03 Computer and Accessories | Dive Gear Express®

Try second hand. There are a lot of computors out there that are pretty good. Then with experience, you can buy a better/more appropriate one. Today, most computors do air and nitrox.

Wrist and not console for the explanations given above :)

Wrist. Based on your other thread, you should try to get away from big bulky consoles and opt with a brass SPG that can be clipped off either on your hip d ring or chest d ring.
User replaceable battery is also a must, in my opinion. Who wants to ship their computer off just to get the battery replaced.
Also, I'd look for one that either has a bungee harness or one that DSS makes an adapter for. I'm not a fan of the watch style bands. No redundancy if it breaks and they are hard to wear on your forearm, which is where I prefer my computer to be.
Most computers are Nitrox compatible these days, but I would also say it's a must.
Basically, everything @tbone1004 said

The DG03 @tbone1004 pointed out looks on point:
  • Wrist mount
  • Supports nitrox
  • Backlit display
  • User changeable battery
  • USB interface cable included
The price is good too. Should keep you happy for a while. If you ever decide you need something different, it would make a good backup computer. Should also hold good resale value.

Bungee mounts that use more than one cord or strap are good. Sooner or later, a strap or bungee will break. The backup bungee saved one of my trimix computers last year when the single strap failed by coming out of the buckle (!). It is now sewn in with new strap, but since it has a slot for a backup bungee I'd put one on it. There would have been essentially zero chance of recovering it from the silty bottom even if I'd had the gas to descend and search.

@Splash92

So many threads regarding buying 1st computer, read some of them.

Most reasonable computers will have the same basic features, one variable is the decompression algorithm. Learn a bit about the deoo algotihms before you invest in your 1st computer. Personally, I would not dive PZ+ on the DG03, much too conservative for no stop dives for me.

Good diving,

Craig

I currently own the Leonardo. It's basic, but at the same time very functional. However tweaking the settings can be a little annoying. And the display I would say is just okay. I got the chance to use the Suunto Zoop wrist style for about 12 dives and loved it much more. Check that one out as it is another great beginner/first dive computer.

I have been waiting for the Deep Six for quite a while. Good to know that it might be available in few months time.
If my primary computer, Uwatec Aladin, expires before Deep Six makes it maiden appearance. I would settle on Mares Puck Pro. There is no way that I would spend over US$200.00 for a recreational computer.

It seems the Hollis DG03 had several problems in the past. How is it's current reliability?

Also, which compute has the best user interface for novices?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom