First Computer - Easy to Read Display?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very happy with my Versa Pro, easy to read, Nitrox Capable, and cost effective. Water activated, but has never falsed on me, Presetable alarms for depth and time, all the functions you want in a computer without the big cost. It has 90 dives on it with no probs.

It does give you both max depth, and current at same time, as well as elapsed time uw all on same screen. Less complicated to look at and easier to read than many. Bar Graphs are a bit hard to see since they are arranged around the edges, but not tough, just have to tilt it sometimes to get a good look. (my eyes are not great either).

On that subject they do make a small "reading Glasses) insert for masks that glues in on the (bottom) of your mask, it is wonderful for reading gauges etc, and Since I am a Photographer it really helps me get critical focus shots right without a bunch of hassle.

I actually moved mine up some, it blocks a bit of the view, but since I am always looking thru my viewfinder anyway it is not a real prob.

Best of luck and Stay Wet!

Matt

Thanks very much for all the information, everybody! I ran by a shop that carries the Cochran Commander after work today, as recommended, to take a look.

Was easy to read, definitely. While I was there I also looked at the Cressi-Sub Archimede. I don't find much on this computer by doing a search on this board. Seemed easy to operate and easy to read. The owner said he had never had one returned, that they were tough, reliable, & he'd had good luck with them. The price is definitely better than the Cochran - any opinions on quality, etc.? I liked it, just running through the simulation.

Thanks again for all the input - I really appreciate it.

Birdseye:
Thanks very much for all the information, everybody! I ran by a shop that carries the Cochran Commander after work today, as recommended, to take a look.

Was easy to read, definitely. While I was there I also looked at the Cressi-Sub Archimede. I don't find much on this computer by doing a search on this board. Seemed easy to operate and easy to read. The owner said he had never had one returned, that they were tough, reliable, & he'd had good luck with them. The price is definitely better than the Cochran - any opinions on quality, etc.? I liked it, just running through the simulation.

Thanks again for all the input - I really appreciate it.

The problem we've had with the Archimede computer... is we can't get them. It's made for them by Seiko - and now Tusa has contracted Seiko to make their computers, so they have put Cressi on the back burner - and they can't get any. We've been out for 4 months. The problem with that would be if something happened and the computer stopped working - none of these companies fix them... they replace them. And if they don't have them, how would they do that??

I'm a bigger fan of the Atmos 2 from Aeris. Made in the USA, (right in Oakland, CA) Larger dislay, has a built in safety stop count down timer, flashing LED alarm along with the audible alarm. And Aeris has some of the best customer service in the industry. All that packed into a wrist unit under $300 with nitrox capability.

Birdseye:
I'd really appreciate suggestions on a first computer for someone that will be doing strictly recreational, tropical diving. I've searched & looked through posts here, been to local dive shops, etc., but I'm still overwhelmed with all that's available. The shops, obviously, all recommend what they carry as the best.

Also, what are most reliable sources to order online? We buy most gear from our dive shop, but I'm considering ordering computer myself.

Hi Birdseye:

My wife and I are happy with the Suunto Vypers we bought from LeisurePro.com. The Vyper is a very popular computer on this Board.

If you use the Board's search function you will quickly educate yourself about dive computers and the pros and cons of buying a Nitrox computer.

I have a Cressi Archimede. It is a nice little computer. Easy on the eyes and easy to use.

I believe that I posted a review of the unit a year or so ago. You may want to search the archives for Archimede.

Best of luck,
Peter

And the reason I bought it is ecause these ol' eyes aren't what they used to be.

I've been very happy with it for the year I've owned it. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but gives me all the info I can use.

As mentioned earlier, they are made by Seiko, along with the TUSA, the Dive Rite Duo, and new models from Apeks. If you can't find a Cressi, perhaps you can check out the same computer from one of the other brands.

Hope this helps!

Phil

I just went through the same decision agony, will soon have a chance to test out my decision, but I ended up going with the newly offered dive rite nitek duo which just arrived a few days ago. I understand SEIKO makes this computer for dive rite. I wasn't able to find many dive rite users however it had a selection of features that sounded about right for me.

I can't speak to realiability yet, but at least can tell you that it is most easy and intuitive to understand and program, is approximately as conservative as the vyper, and has very nice large readable displays for these ol' eyes. It also is capable for nitrox as well as a second gas mix, and has long lasting user-changable batteries.

gfac

For recreational diving I use an Atmos2. One of the reasons I chose it was legibility.

Attached is a photo of the computer. The face is 2 1/2 inches across, so the numbers are pretty good sized.

All the best, James

Thanks again, everybody. I bought the Archimede today. I'd liked it at the shop, as figuring out how to scroll through the functions was so easy after fighting with my husband's Mares M1. (Also easy to read!! Ha! He's jealous!!)

Then, after reading your input and finding nothing BAD in searches, it was a pretty easy decision to go back and buy it.

Thanks for the help - I was confused, and I really appreciate people taking the time to help a first-computer-buyer.

Weird how the print suddenly gets smaller. I'd always heard (other) people talk about that ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom