First Cold Water UK dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brit Girl

Registered
Reaction score
I had my first 2 dives in the Uk in my new drysuit yesterday!!! Went to Stoney Cove- a local dive quarry- and water was about 10 degrees! Used my dry suit for the first time. I was lucky enough to be accompanied by my 2 dive instructors in case I got into trouble but apart from having to put a couple of stones in my pocket everything was fine! Was a bit different from the other dives I did in Thailand but I was still excited!!! I did my 50m tow and AV for the sport diver lesson which I found really tiring!!!
The second dive was good too but afterwards I was just so tired I had difficulty just walking! As soon as i got to the car I got my kit off and was immediately sick 2 or 3 times. I felt all jittery after that and it kind os spoiled the day a bit and dont know why. The only thing I can think of is that I have been a bit down lately and not eating really and have been really tired and I think that I was just totally exhausted. Good enough reason to start eating properly as I have booked myself on a diving holiday in a couple of weeks and want to be fit by then! All in all I really enjoyed it and have really got the dive bug now!!

Brit Girl. It sounds like you over did it a bit. If I do a long dive on air I get to feeling pretty shaky myself. I have found that when I use Nitrox, I feel a lot better afterwards.

Congratulations. I'm steeling myself for my first UK dive as I'm scheduled on a rescue diver course at Dosthill in late July and I need to refresh my skills, all learned in Thailand like you.

I agree with landlocked - it sounds as if you overdid it, but I imagine that diving even in a drysuit in 10c water will tire you out a lot more than diving in a 3mm wetsuit in 28c water.

Best wishes for your next dives

Hey, Britgirl.

I'm not as brave as you yet. Having learned in tropical climes, I'm not sure I could face our waters. Though having said that, I am relatively close to some good east coast diving. Maybe in the summer ... we'll see.

'Cept I'm going to the Seychelles so i'll be spoiled even more for diving at home.

It's a hard life :jester:

I thought you said cold - that ain't cold for good old Stoney!!

One of the problems at Stoney is that it is so busy at the weekends they will not do nitrox fills so if you want it you have to take your own. Which is not a bad idea anyway because sometimes when it gets really busy you can wait for up to 3 hours just for an air fill - and if someone needs the chamber then you are really stuffed.....

Welcome to the club!

Jonathan

So you got sick after doing something extraordianrily strenuous! You may have swallowed some yummy lake water, too. That always makes me want to earl, too. Some of the best divers I have ever buddied with are brits/scots. Why? Because you have dived such severe conditions that everthing else is a koi pond? Other Californians often mention the excellent skills of british mentors. Congrats on that first brutal dive; you have my admiration.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom