First cold water dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A thick properly fitting hood is important in cold water and can make a big difference. Don't forget to allow water at the start of the dive so your can equalize.

If your hands start to get uncomfortable it's time to call the dive. You'll go from uncomfortable to painful very quickly.

Relax and have fun and don't be afraid to come out of the water and add more insulation if you feel cold.

Yes, hands seem to be the big thing, though at times I've actually had cold feet. In cold water diving wet I use the "lobster claw" mitts--keeps fingers together & thumb separate. Way better than the 5 finger gloves. I can't say I've ever had cold hands with these, even in sub 40F water. Other parts of me maybe, but not the hands. I have seen drysuit gloves on divers, which seem huge to me. I do wonder if they are very warm, or perhaps there are "lobster claw" mitts that are dry? That would seem the warmest way possible.

I was at Mermet last weekend. The water was 47°F from the surface to about 60ft. I didn't go deeper than that, but I expect it is slightly colder at depth. The staff is great about turning on the heat in the warming areas, and they do have coffee. Just go and have fun. If you do a 15 minute dive and get cold, get out. Warm up and do another one. I'm not trying to downplay this, but it isn't like you'll have a decompression obligation or be in an overhead environment. Bring all of the warm stuff you have.

oh bollocks, that is VERY important point number 2. Aside from cold water treatment, make sure you stop after you are at the deco/ss hang point. Flood your hood all the way which will suck because of the ice cream headache you'll get, but then you have to roll to both sides to get your ear canals flooded. Without a hood it doesn't matter because as the air space shrinks, it just sucks water into it and it doesn't really do anything. With the hood, especially a well fitting hood, it creates a seal around your ear and it will suck your ear drum out and cause external barotrauma. You'll hear/feel the canals flooding and when they do, then you can let go of that side of your hood and roll to the other side.

oh bollocks, that is VERY important point number 2. Aside from cold water treatment, make sure you stop after you are at the deco/ss hang point. Flood your hood all the way which will suck because of the ice cream headache you'll get, but then you have to roll to both sides to get your ear canals flooded. Without a hood it doesn't matter because as the air space shrinks, it just sucks water into it and it doesn't really do anything. With the hood, especially a well fitting hood, it creates a seal around your ear and it will suck your ear drum out and cause external barotrauma. You'll hear/feel the canals flooding and when they do, then you can let go of that side of your hood and roll to the other side.
Interesting hood advice. I'm not saying I disagree with intentionally flooding the hood in order to get water in your ears--makes sense. I will say that I have dived with numerous hoods, all which seemed to fit well (tight enough) but weren't too tight to affect that Cardioinhibitor mechanism. I have never intentionally flooded my hood--- no problems resulting so far.

Water was 49F at about 15 ft.

I was nervous and that was exacerbated by being underweighted. I originally had 18lb on top of BP and 5lb STA insert. But it was too little. I had difficulty staying down when on a platform and when we were swimming around I had to grab the DM's hand because I was a bobbing cork. I'm adding 4 lbs tomorrow at DM recommendation.

I had no clue the new Fourth Element Arctic would require that much extra weight. I was wearing them over the FE Xerotherm.

Did the cold water treatment, sort of. Let water into my mask to partially flood it to defog it but that didn't work. It was leaking, too. Tomorrow I will try the bit of silicone grease that DRIS gave me to try (deep smile lines). I start flooding when I equalize. DM flamed my mask after we got out. I had already scrubbed it 3-4 times with toothpaste. Will do that again tonight.

We were only under about 15 minutes, but I've got my first cold water dive under my belt and I'm now into double digit dive numbers - 10! ;-) I had issues, but we identified them and will dive twice tomorrow.

Oh, and I didn't mess with the flooding my hood thing and I was fine. My hood isn't that tight.

Forgot to add, once I was in the water a bit, I was fine comfort wise. My hands were warm and dry and the rest of me was fine as well.

if you dot he proper cold water treatment your mask will not be as prone to fogging. Fogging occurs when you have differential temperature and humidity levels which causes the condensation to build up. By doing a cold water treatment, you will have your mask off which lets the cold dry air into the mask space, but also cools off your skin which is much warmer than ambient. The combination will help to minimize and major temperature differentials and that will keep it from fogging

Baby shampoo has totally prevented any fogging at all for me regardless of water/air temp. Smear a couple of drops on and wipe clear. Can be done days (maybe years?) before the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom