First cleaning of new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know that a lighter burns off the chemical from the factory, but there is also the toothpaste method. Concerning the toothpaste method, I always thought it was the grit in the toothpaste that did the job until the other day I read that it is the chemical in the toothpaste. They stated it was a chemical reaction. Is this true? If so, is there a specific kind? Thanks!

This stuff works for me, I use it 5 times, rinse and clean between each cycle.
Some masks require a little less or a bit more, 5 is my 'go to'.
Gear-Aid-Sea-Buff-Dive-Mask-and-Slate-Cleaner-Drops.jpg

The Hollis M1 took the most cleaning, but is my #1 mask [M4 backup].

White non gel toothpaste. Rub with your thumb until it feels different. Use warm water to clean off the toothpaste and rub until the lens squeaks.

I do this and then just give each lens some spit and rinse before each dive. Never have any fog issues.

Toss it in the dishwasher but skip the dry cycle.
And if it is uncoated on the interior ...
Long read, but worth it.

If there is an interior coating, I'd suggest nothing reactive or abrasive.

I use the lighter on the inside and then soft scrub on the inside and out. Then, before each dive, spit. That works for me.

And if it is uncoated on the interior ...
Long read, but worth it.

If there is an interior coating, I'd suggest nothing reactive or abrasive.
After that long team effort I found that the dishwasher does as good or better than any of the other techniques, I’ve use flame and mild abrasives (tooth paste) and it’s as good as those on good masks.

After investing in a new Venom Frameless and not wanting to screw it up, I emailed Atomic (well, Huish) and they replied:
Local dive shops sell some gentle cleaner that you can rub on the mask. Takes about 10 minutes of rubbing.
Which is why people want to get creative with cleaning the mask.
No harsh chemicals or abrasive substances. The only real thing I want to stress is being gentle about it.​

I got the Sea Buff @Pressurehead noted above in post #2. Four sessions, each five minutes long followed by a rinse, did the trick. Same method worked perfectly for my gal's new Scuba Pro mask.

After that long team effort I found that the dishwasher does as good or better than any of the other techniques, I’ve use flame and mild abrasives (tooth paste) and it’s as good as those on good masks.
That’s a long thread!!! Dang. So dishwasher no soap? Just run normal
Cycle? What cleans it? The heat?

That’s a long thread!!! Dang. So dishwasher no soap? Just run normal
Cycle? What cleans it? The heat?
That thread is part about cleaning, but also later on about actually altering surface of the glass to reduce the fogging susceptibility. I have done 2 masks with the (oil covered) ammonia treatment with good success. Lowviz was working on a paste formula that would have been much easier to apply.

I just run them through with the dishes, with "Finish" tabs, but no heat-dry.

ETA: I would not use any detergent if the mask has any performance coatings

Back
Top Bottom