New Mask Prep.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to burn off my lenses several times on my Cressi Calibro to get them to not fog up, and use toothpaste constantly. When I switched to Xdeep Radical, a simple wash with dish soap was enough, and I toothpaste it from time to time, but mostly it doesn't fog up.

nope. Nothing special.
Althou, the Radical is the first and the only frameless mask that fits my face, and the glass is different than cressi's. more similar to eyeglasses glass. maybe that's the reason it doesn't fog as much

I find toothpaste works well as a prep for a new mask on the dozen or so masks I have used over the years and baby shampoo just before the diver as a defog. You can purchase a bottle of mask scrub at a dive shop, it says right on the bottle it is not a defog. I asked a dive shop owner once why he sold it when he knows that toothpaste works as well and you can buy two tubes for the cost of a small bottle of mask scrub that will only be used once. He replied "I own a dive shop, not a drug store"

I go straight to the nuclear option. I burn baby burn!!! I just got back from two weeks in Cozumel with a group of a dozen divers. Half of them were complaining about mask fogging to different degrees. They tried toothpaste, salt, baking soda.

So I gathered all the offending basks and subjected them to my 7/11 butane lighter technique. I burn the inside. If there is ANY black...that means oil...that means fog. I wipe the black with a damp paper towel and I burn again.

One mask I had to do that at least a dozen times until no more black when burned. Even some masks that had 50 or more dives on them were coming up pretty black on the first few burns.

Caution.....you don;t need to hold the flame on the mask for a long time. Just a second in a spot. Remove the oil a little at a time. Don't try to burn it all off at one time. My Coz boat name is now The Heater!!!

I go straight to the nuclear option. I burn baby burn!!! I just got back from two weeks in Cozumel with a group of a dozen divers. Half of them were complaining about mask fogging to different degrees. They tried toothpaste, salt, baking soda.

So I gathered all the offending basks and subjected them to my 7/11 butane lighter technique. I burn the inside. If there is ANY black...that means oil...that means fog. I wipe the black with a damp paper towel and I burn again.

One mask I had to do that at least a dozen times until no more black when burned. Even some masks that had 50 or more dives on them were coming up pretty black on the first few burns.

Caution.....you don;t need to hold the flame on the mask for a long time. Just a second in a spot. Remove the oil a little at a time. Don't try to burn it all off at one time. My Coz boat name is now The Heater!!!
I can't believe I'm biting. There is no oil on the inside of a new mask. See links above,

I can't believe I'm biting. There is no oil on the inside of a new mask. See links above,
Then what is the black stuff being burned off? Plastics and rubber is made with petroleum products. Masks are lots of plastic and rubber.

I am open for an education please

Toothpaste followed by Sea to Stream defog - better for the ocean than baby shampoo.

Then what is the black stuff being burned off? Plastics and rubber is made with petroleum products. Masks are lots of plastic and rubber.

Mask (silicone) release agent as part of the manufacturing process. Not oil.

It is mold release used during manufacturing. You have to be careful burning a mask some lenses have coatings on them and it you burn it you damage the coating and ruin an expensive mask. Uncoated lenses it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom