First BPW set-up, DGX, Deep6 or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone in here seems to be pushing one of two things, what they dive themselves or what their friends sell.

I have Apeks , Hollis, hog, light monkey, and dive rite currently. If I was on a budget I’d go with the dgx. Priced well and wing is made in the USA.

ETA: huge fan of the halcyon wings too

I think that Halcyon, Apeks and Hollis are a little more than I want to spend at the moment. D6 most of the items are out of stock. What are the differences between Hog, DGX and Dive Rite? Which do you prefer?

Anything to the sharp edges that I have read about or is it not really a big deal?

If you’re talking about sharp edges on a Hog plate, I can say that while they’re not “sharp” as in metal-working, not-properly-deburred sharp…they’re also not exactly rounded. I hit mine with a palm sander just to ease the edges a bit but it was more because I could, not because I had to. It wasn’t anything where I thought I might cut myself if I didn’t do it.

I think that Halcyon, Apeks and Hollis are a little more than I want to spend at the moment. D6 most of the items are out of stock. What are the differences between Hog, DGX and Dive Rite? Which do you prefer?

Anything to the sharp edges that I have read about or is it not really a big deal?
The DGX wing will be the narrowest and it has built-in roll control logs top and bottom that are sewn into sleeves and stitched at the sides of the slots. I’ve cut open the pockets before on similar wings and found them to either be made out if 1/4” fuel line or a rigid plastic. The space on the inside panel is just a little wider than a 2” piece of webbing, so overall the wing is pretty darn narrow. Some people like this because it has a slimmer profile traveling through the water and air migration from side to side is very minimal.

The Hog wing is shorter and wider. The inside panel is about the same size as a conventional doubles plate so it is considerably wider over all.
The Hog wing also has a full length roll control feature sewn into piping sleeves on either side of the slots. These wings would be good for shorter people who might also use 8” diameter tanks.

The Diverite wings as far as I remember do not have any form of built in roll control device. You would have to use a STA (single tank adapter) or a separate roll control pad that is similar in looks to what Hog uses, but it’s an add-on accessory that you place over the wing panel and attach it with sex bolts. Diverite wings also have big open spaces that are formed with straps that make what looks like a cross hair. Those would also be your can band slots. I think the over all width geometry is about in between the Hog and the DGX. It depends on the lift.

The sharp edges are hit and miss with dozens of plates.

Don't worry about it, just grab a file from home depot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom