First Boat Dive Coming Up....Newbie Question inside!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I am scheduled for my first boat dive the end of this month in Clearwater, FL. I'm bringing all my own gear (wet suit, BC, Reg etc) except tanks and weights obviously. I currently move my gear with an LLBean Large Rolling Duffel. Dimensions are 15h x 30w x13d. Is it ok to bring that on board the charter or is it going to be in the way? I have a mesh bag, but with wetsuit and BC - not everything is going to fit.

I guess I'm asking about basic boat etiquette, what is acceptable to bring and what is not. I don't want to be in anyone's way. I'm also thinking I need to bring a sweatshirt for the SI. So then there's that too.

vy8azaja.jpg

I transport the gear to the parking lot in my large rolling case like you. I the parking lot, I cross load the gear except the fins and BCD into the mesh bag. One of the first things I do at the boat is wet my straps and strap the BCD onto the tank and put the fins under the bench. If I can't get right on the boat, the fins lash nicely under the handles and the BCD is worn over one shoulder.

I personally loath seeing those bags and the people who bring them on board a dive boat, but that's just me.

I use a mares mesh bag. Holds everything but tank and weights. The boat I go on the most loads bag and tanks. When I get on the boat at the dock I put it all together and the empty bag under the seat. Try and get it done while boat is still in port in case the seas are bouncing when underway.

If your bag is going to stick out past the bench it will likely get in the way as people are moving off the boat in fins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, um. No. Unless you're staying on the boat for a week.

Bring that bag as far as the parking lot. There, put mask/fins/snorkle/etc in a mesh bag, put your BDC on your back, throw your wetsuit over your shoulder, and walk on to the boat.

Besides taking up way too much room, that bag will get soaked with saltwater and ultimately ruined on a day boat.

PS - keep in mind that the crew typically works for tips alone.

Hi Faith, as others have said leave the roller bag in the car. There is limited space on the boat and roller bags don't usually fit under the bench very well. As for the sweatshirt I would bring it or at least a towel. There is usually an area where you can stash things you want to stay dry or you have the option of buying a dry bag if you plan to do much boat diving.
Other things to consider for boat etiquette: be sure to arrive early. For most boats they want you there 30 minutes prior to departure. The crew works for tips, so please tip them. If you require extra assistance let the tip reflect that too.

Have fun, dive safe

I was on a charter in August and was walking to the back of the boat to jump off (all geared up) and on the way my fin caught somebody's large gear bag that was sticking out from under the bench. Landed on both knees pretty darn hard and had bruises. Not fun. So bring a bag that will fit nicely under the bench that you don't mind getting wet....because it will get wet!

Hi Faith, as others have said leave the roller bag in the car. There is limited space on the boat and roller bags don't usually fit under the bench very well. As for the sweatshirt I would bring it or at least a towel. There is usually an area where you can stash things you want to stay dry or you have the option of buying a dry bag if you plan to do much boat diving.
Other things to consider for boat etiquette: be sure to arrive early. For most boats they want you there 30 minutes prior to departure. The crew works for tips, so please tip them. If you require extra assistance let the tip reflect that too.

Have fun, dive safe

As others have said, it is often very beneficial to have a bag that crumples up to something small when empty or nearly empty. That is the exact application we had in mind when we built our mesh bag. Big enough for all your gear, but compact when empty:

Gun Bags / Gear Bags / Sportube Cases

MMB-2.jpg

You may also want to think about a medium size dry bag, you have to assume that the waves may splash and it can rain offshore too. Keeping the towel, sweatshirt, phone, keys, etc. is an important consideration.

MWBT-2.jpg

I would leave the roller bag at the hotel/room and load all your gear into a mesh bag or cheap duffle. There will not be room for it, it will be ruined on the boat and can you imagine the mess your wet gear will make in it if you try and use it post dive.

Most dive bags are large enough for all of your gear. I can get everything in mine except tanks, including wetsuit, boots, fins BCD, reg set and even lobster bag and second reg for my pony plus a towel. For a duffle style bag, put the boots in the ends, wetsuit on bottom and fins along the side. Then the BCD with back down and nest the reg set and towel etc, inside BCD. You can usually stuff odds and ends, like lights, reels and SMB in the gaps around the edges. I think a backpack style bag is a little harder to pack but the order stays much the same. The fins are the most difficult. If the bag is too short, just carry them.

After kitting up, just fold up the bag tight and stow. Find a dry spot for you sweatshirt or towel. If you are not sure where, just ask the crew. Invest in a dry bag if you will be doing much boat diving.

One thing I didn't see mentioned, buy a dry bag for your non-diving stuff that you want to keep dry. Stow it in the cabin if possible. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom