First Bcd Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not familiar with kydex, what is it, an alloy?

And certainly true, but the only thing I am concerned with is (if I understand it correctly) one cannot replace the bladder if it is damaged, you've got to replace the whole wing. Their quality is exceptional from what I have heard, but the maintenance in that aspect seems to be a little difficult. Fingers crossed one never damages the bladder, but accidents do happen.

A nice thing about the DSS wings is that if you do get a hole in the bladder, they will replace the bladder for $50. The bad thing is, you have to send it back to them to have it done.

I have an older LCD30 from DSS. Older meaning that the bladder is not as thick as their current material. But, I have repaired 3 pinch flats in it in the 14 months that I have owned it. If I hadn't been able to fix them myself, I would have been renting a BCD in order to keep diving on that trip. Thus why I personally would not buy a wing that doesn't give access to the bladder to allow for field repairs. Some Aquaseal, a piece of bicycle inner tube, and a few minutes is all it takes to fix a pinch flat or puncture. Why limit yourself to not having that option?

The LCD30 is a horseshoe shape. I prefer a donut shaped wing and now use a HOG wing for single tank diving, instead of my LCD30 (which I still have). The LCD30 is very streamlined, which also means it's a bit long. Which means it's a bit more likely to fold under and be subject to a pinch flat than a shorter design of the same lift. Or so it seems to me, anyway.

If it was me, and I wanted to be diving up where you are, and I wanted to purchase my rig through my local dive shop, I would probably save some money over H or DSS and go for the HOG stainless plate and 32# wing.

The HOG plate doesn't offer the bolt-on weight option. But, do you really want to spend an extra $100 for 8# of bolt-on weights? That is the price for the DSS bolt-ons, I believe. I have them, but I got mine via the Classifieds here for much less money. Also keep in mind that if you start diving doubles, you can't use the bolt-on weights (and probably wouldn't need them). And if you dive in tropical water, the bolt-on weights may be more weight than you want and you'll end up choosing to go with just your SS plate and possibly 2 - 4 pounds in a trim pocket or on a weight belt. IOW, the bolt-on weights are really nice - for the right scenario. But, if you need much less or much more weight, then you'll probably end up diving with a weight belt anyway and maybe wondering why you spent that $100 on those weight plates.

And the HOG wing is a donut and offers a zipper to access the bladder, in case you need to do a field repair.

Last edited:
I would just add that I think it is a mistake to discourage ditchable weight. Any review of the accident statistics shows a very large percentage involve divers who could not establish positive buoyancy at the surface. While it's true that many of these probably were not balanced but over-weighted, in an emergency you do not want the "just barely positive" status of a balanced rig, you want significant positive buoyancy.

I dive a balanced rig. I need about 10 lbs with a 3 mil and AL 80. 6 pounds are in my backplate, but the rest (depeinding on tank and exposure suit) are ditchable. Personally, I use the Halcyon ACB pockets which hold up to 12 pounds total (never need that much, being in warm water). The pockets are very small and unobtrusive, are a great place to tuck the long hose, and with the snap release you must make a conscious decision and effort to ditch weight--no way it will happen by accident. I think it's a good system--way better than a weight belt. Fortunately, I have not had to actually ditch my weights.

I'm currently thinking of what I can do with a couple of pieces of webbing and available hardware to work out an easy, secure, and ditchable way to attach weights to shoulder straps. I now have them in xs scuba pockets, I like them there better than on the tank strap, but they do get in the way a bit. Getting rid of the pockets should help with that.

Stuartv: Now that I found out that when I ship to a US PO box it only costs 25 dollars from California to NY I am not as concerned about the shipping. 100 bucks to fix a bcd is a good deal i suppose.

GuyHarrison: well I know I am a noob and all but I will have 35 pounds of lift on my back to keep me afloat and I will not have that much weighing me down so shouldn't I be fine without the ditch able weights? If I have a weight belt I will have 4 pounds on, as I only need 16 pounds with a 7 mm.

And I really like the pocket shorts instead of the bcd pockets, I'll probably be picking up a pair of them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom