First Bcd Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Kydex plate, but I rarely dive a BP&Wing anymore for back mount. I have found that the fiber plates found in Dive Rite's "Hunter Pack" and Zeagle's "Express Tech" are far more convenient to dive with and far, far easier to travel with. Neither are suitable for a twinset, but I opt for dedicated gear in that regard anyway.

The hunterpac is quite possible my favorite singles rig out there, however I dive singles infrequently enough that it is cheaper/easier to have a singles wing than a dedicated rig that goes out maybe once a year... For a new diver up there though, the ballast advantages of going with stainless steel are too big to be ignored.

Wow that is a really cool plastic!, and what you were saying about the plastic plate is something I was kinda thinking about, too many times have I rounded out a plastic hole; something certainly to be concerned about. The impression I am pretty well getting is to leave out the traveller from choices, so I think I will.

And it is good to hear they make a zippered wing, like I said I am usually really careful but accidents do happen, If my LDS can't repair it, I don't want to have to wait a few weeks for shipping from Ontario to Cal

I like the idea of having the plates on the back fixed to you, but maybe this is just an inexperienced question, but isn't it safer being able to have weights to drop if needed?

depends on if you are diving a balanced rig or not. All depends on how thick your wetsuit is going to be, if you go drysuit, and which tanks you are planning on wearing. If you need 20lbs of lead, and you can put 6lbs on a belt to drop if you want then great, but I never plan on dropping weights, nor do I ever actually have weight to drop...I can't remember the last time I wore a weight belt.... Carry a 50lb lift bag for redundant buoyancy and don't worry about it

The DSS stainless plate setup appears ideal for your needs. The simple but ingenious methods of attaching metal weight plates to the backplate beats any pocket solution; H or not. A buddy of
Mine has the H traveler and I simply don't get that thing.

Maybe I'll give Tobin a call on Monday, having the back mounted weights are ideal as less weight carried is less to worry about.

If my LDS are able to service the bcd if I encounter a problem than that would certainly sway the choice for me. I would expect they can service it since they sell it.

there is nothing in a BC to pay to service unless the bladder fails. You can service the inflator valve yourself, and there is really nothing else to go wrong. Tobin has a video showing how to disassemble and repair the inflator mechanism, but that doesn't have to be done very often, and other than that there really isn't anything to go service unless you cut the wing. This is extremely rare and in 6 years of tech diving I have yet to encounter a bladder failure and I have wings that are 10-15 years old that I bought used and have well over 500 dives each on them *no idea how many since I bought them used.

there is nothing in a BC to pay to service unless the bladder fails. You can service the inflator valve yourself, and there is really nothing else to go wrong. Tobin has a video showing how to disassemble and repair the inflator mechanism, but that doesn't have to be done very often, and other than that there really isn't anything to go service unless you cut the wing. This is extremely rare and in 6 years of tech diving I have yet to encounter a bladder failure and I have wings that are 10-15 years old that I bought used and have well over 500 dives each on them *no idea how many since I bought them used.
Different inflators have different parts & different repair techniques. One size does not always fit all. Generic "K" style inflators are pretty simple. Oceanic, you replace the entire inflator end (it is not made to be repaired), Aqualung uses a schrader valve. I will agree with your statement that, with proper care & rinsing, there is very little to go wrong with an inflator valve.

sorry, my post was directed at the technical inflators where they come apart pretty easily, though you can just replace them for $15, so it's not particularly expensive. If diving in salt you should relube them a bit more often, maybe once a year? but in fresh water I only do something if they start leaking... which is extraordinarily rare

sorry, my post was directed at the technical inflators where they come apart pretty easily, though you can just replace them for $15, so it's not particularly expensive. If diving in salt you should relube them a bit more often, maybe once a year? but in fresh water I only do something if they start leaking... which is extraordinarily rare
I concur. My Dive Rite Classic valves have never needed anything more than an occasional rinsing & lubrication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom