First Automatic External Defrillator/ Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
BTW, most drownings will be in Vfib for a while which is exactly what they will shock.
Not that I don't believe you, but can you point that out to me.

Found this: Ventricular fibrillation: Rapid contractions of the heart caused by irregular electrical signals in the ventricles. The condition is common after myocardial infarction (heart attack) or from electrocution or drowning. The condition is life-threatening and should be treated immediately with electric shock (defibrillation) to the heart followed by anti-arrhythmic drugs.

Source: http://www.imaginis.com/heart-disease/arrhythmias.asp

Well then... I retract my statements about having an AED on board a charter boat due to my ignorance.

I still think there is gonna be trouble combining electric shock and saltwater however.

I have shocked more people dead than I can rember and even soaking wet, both of us, I have never recieved more than a tingle.
Vfib is usualy the final stage of electrical activity prior to asystole, that is total lack of electrical activity. This is common in drownings. Its a good thing to have on board a dive boat but you have to rember, something happened to put them in this situation and simply shocking the heart to stop it will not fix the underlying problem.

I gave my self a little jolt in a storm once in an ambulance. Those silly 18 year old ambulance drivers drive bumpy! Better to put the stretcher railing down before "all clear". Should we tell him about the smell of burning chest hair, or save that for next time? Shave those chests guys...

So, this is off topic, but what the heck. Yesterday, I was driving to Hawaii Kai on Kalianeole highway and lo and behold an ambulance was running HOT HOT in the oncoming traffic, heading west, Diamond Head! The roads were not coned for rush hour. They cannot do that, can they? He was coming at me head on... In SoCal we were not even supposed to run code blue on the freeways--too dangerous.

Since the Fire Department thing is what I do for half the time, and shooting the other half...

Yes, they can do that. Our quip in the cab is "...salmon mode".

As for the freeway, AFAIK there is no law in California limiting fire/EMS from running code on the freeway. There certainly is not in Nevada. Some department policies do so limit, however, for particular vehicles. Smaller, lighter vehicles do run code on the freeway, our Engines and Trucks usually don't.

We call it "code 2 and a half"; multiple studies have shown that for normal freeway traffic flow, emergency vehicles suffer no time loss from proceeding as an ordinary vehicle, and place the public at less risk. If the freeway is very congested, and moving slowly, if at all, we flip on the lights.

We try and keep in mind that by using the lights and siren, we are only asking for the right of way, and proceed when it has been given.

All the best, James

Ambulance road rules differ from state to state. In Texas, for example, we can drive through red light, the wrong way down the street, and run faster than the speed limit (but only +10 MPH). However the key is it has to be done in a reasonable and safe matter in regards to the public.

Interesting discussion about the AEDs. As more of you have experience and thoughts about their use, please post here. I will be interested to hear your thoughts. Good idea about the mat.

Back
Top Bottom