First Automatic External Defrillator/ Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These defibs are going to be the downfall of the dive industry unless instructors are extra vigilant and make sure that divemasters and other lower forms of life don't start having competitions to see who can take the most shots for free beers.
It wouldn't be half so dangerous if they just applied jolts to the brain area.

The AED are kinda foolproof. Essentially you apply the pads and the machine determines if a shock is needed or not. If the button is pressed when a shock is not needed, nothing will happen.

catherine96821:
FYI, AAA owner Alex Mason just bought the Phillips Heartsmart AED for the Elysium dive boat. I do not know of anyone else who has one on their dive boat, do you? Just curious.<snip>
Thanks for the heads up Catherine, just another reason that we patronize Alex when we come your way...I don't care that his prices are about $10 more...it's worth every penny.

All the best, James

No, no no!

It was Janet this last time...she spent a couple days there (her birthday) while I was slaving away in Malaysia...something about having the bad manners of working over her birthday...I can't win here, can I? <hangs head in shame>

All the best, James

fdog:
Thanks for the heads up Catherine, just another reason that we patronize Alex when we come your way...I don't care that his prices are about $10 more...it's worth every penny.

All the best, James

wow...he will be happy to hear that James. Alex can be an aquired taste, but he sure puts everything he has into that business.

He had a run of bad luck and tragedy in his family last year. I have seen him be without electricty and yet spend every cent on the boat and equipment....he is back in the black and no one deserves it more! One hard worker.

OK I have to jump on board here.

AED on board: semi-good idea.
Wet bodies: Bad idea.

You might problems shocking while on a boat, we pull over when doing it in a vehicle. More than likely you would have to kill the engines.

ABSOLULTY NO WATER. 200-300joules is not pleasant. 20j makes most grown men holler pretty good.

Andy: Fibrillation is bad =)

A person is probably far more likely to have a Cardiac Arrest while uppacking his/her dive gear than while in the water, I'm guessing a little here. But far more people die from MI's than scuba diving/drowning.

If Alex wants to use an AED on his boat he should keep: a giant neoprene mat (which is non-conducting and firm enough to to CPR on) and a large quantity of towels which are only used for emergencies.

BTW a good portion of (near)drowning victims will have effective rythyms and maybe shockable rythms, if you get them out of the water and start rescue breathing.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

When using an AED on a Pt that has been in water, two things are important...dry their chest and remove them from standing water. So you may need to quickly strip them out of their gear and then move them a few feet to be out of the water that the gear left. Then just quickly towel them off so the defib pad will stick. As far as the motion is concerned, I believe most newer AEDs can interpret motion as well as 60hz interference. I know we do not pull the ambulance over to shock someone whether it is with an AED or an actual monitor/defib.

Something else, with the new AHA guidelines, it is equally important if not more so, to do effective CPR. You can shock someone all you like, but chances are you are not going to save them if you aren't also doing effective and continous CPR. If you aren't CPR certified...get so...and if you haven't recertified this year, I would recommend doing so. Ok...now I am done. :D

You guys must have nice AED's =).

Look for my thread about who has them on board in I2I I think. ALmost no one has them....
Im guessing Evelyn is back? She was grilling me about them a while back.

BTW, most drownings will be in Vfib for a while which is exactly what they will shock.

Back
Top Bottom