First Automatic External Defrillator/ Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
FYI, AAA owner Alex Mason just bought the Phillips Heartsmart AED for the Elysium dive boat. I do not know of anyone else who has one on their dive boat, do you? Just curious.

I think it is comendable that he has always spent the money to supply computers to all dive guests.

Now, if I could talk him into TP for his very nice head....

The Defibrillator is a great idea. He may need to see how it will work on his boat though. I just recently finished a renewal of my CPR and First Aid and the instructor and I had a chat about these new machines. He told me that they do not work properly on a rocking boat, something about them having to be on a still and steady surface in order for them to sense the heartbeat and other vitals. I thought that was weird but he seemed to be pretty up to date on the subject. Does anyone else know how these do on boats?

Hmmm... high voltages & saltwater... yup, sounds good to me!

Actually, it does sound like a good idea, just make sure you have plenty of dry towels handy!

The most important thing is to be properly trained in it's use. It's true that the AED's give verbal instructions. They are basically a no-brainer, but a properly trained person is more willing to step up and take action over someone who has never seen one before.

On a boat, pool or where the person is wet, it is important to dry them off and get them to as dry an area as possible. And work quickly. You could save their life.

And now for my public service message...

In my opinion, all divers should have CPR and first aid. The Stress and Rescue course is one of the best courses any diver could take. Sign up for all three if you haven't already.

well... it may come in handy ... it won't help at all unless there's a fillibrated heartbeat (sp?), which is common with heart attack victims but very rare with drowning or AGE/DCS victims ... so ....

good to have, but you probably wont' get any use out of it

True, the AED only works where there is a shockable rhythm, like v-fib. The AED gives instructions whether to shock the victim or not. Not everybody can be saved. It was just their day to go.

H2Andy:
well... it may come in handy ... it won't help at all unless there's a fillibrated heartbeat (sp?), which is common with heart attack victims but very rare with drowning or AGE/DCS victims ... so ....

good to have, but you probably wont' get any use out of it
But the layperson doesn't realise that, so it works out well as being a great advertising tool.

Come on FishBoy, you know if you were in trouble, you'd want someone to try everything to save you. You'd want to dive again, right? You've got to be alive to do that.

I agree, but like you said, an AED is for irregular rhythms, not for when the heart has stopped (ie. drownings). Its a handy item to have on board, but does a boat's first-aid have the room/money for every conceivable emergency. Does the boat have meat tenderizer on board for jellyfish stings (I would prefer that over being pee'd on)? How about a bee sting kit? Some things are not practical in a small environment such as on a charter, I would rather see an extra O2 kit... even divers who dive wacky profiles dive with buddies.

I'll state my point , an AED is a nice thing to have... but if I were a charter operator, I wouldn't see any real use for it unless I were doing off-off shore charters or it became mandated by the Coast Guard.

I think it is more an indicator of the operator's intent to have a vessel with all the state of the art safety equipment, myself. He has an IPERB, life rafts, o2, first aid, etc. I just have always admired his willingness to spend money on new gear every year, etc.

Doug...great point about the motion and salinity, etc. That makes sense if you think about how ECG's are transmitted. I told the captain about what you said and he said you are right.

Back
Top Bottom