First aid kit of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...depends on your level of 1st Aid response certification. I am trained ( & train others ) in First Responder / Basic Trauma Life Support, thus I carry advanced airway control equipment, suction, defibrillator etc.

...Further - where I hail from, a layperson cannot "medicate" another person legally; I can assist a patient to take meds., but I can not administer the drug, unless qualified to do so ( eg.: O2 admin. ). I must be certain they can in fact take the drug safely ( non-altered l.o.c. & intact, functional gag reflex ).

Regards,
DSD

Doc Harry:
Here's what's in my medical bag if I'm going somewhere like Key Largo:

1. Credit card
2. Medical insurance card.

Or in the case of Hawaii, two credit cards.

almitywife:
but we also have our DAN O2 and 1st Aid certification

If you don't have a cert be sure and say "O2 has been shown to help in the case of many dive injuries, I'm not a certified provider but if you'd like some its right here" and let them take it from there.

Sometimes O2 is prescrip only, you'll prolly need the cert to get it from a dive shop.

Doc Harry:
Here's what's in my bag, if I'm going somewhere like Cozumel or third-world countries:

5. Phenergan suppositories, for mild vomiting

I admit to not being familiar with this drug, but a suppository for vomiting? Actually, the more I think about it the better the idea gets. You obviously aren't holding anything down taken orally. Hrmf. Live and learn.

Joe

DeepSeaDan:
I carry advanced airway control equipment
Are you talking about oro- or nasopharyngeal airway adjucts? EMTs and paramedics operate under the license of a specific doctor so there are certain things they're not supposed to do when off duty and I've alway wondered which side of the line this would fall on.

alan_lee:
I've read about bringing vinegar somewhere else, and it's an item listed again. What's it used to treat? Pardon my stupidity, folks! :p

Some types of coral stings. Pick up the DAN (or any other one) First Aid for Marine something or other. I can't remember the name of the book and I'm going to be bes so I'm not looking for it now:wink: . But you'll find that vinegar neutralizes the nematocysts left by things like fire coral.

cornfed:
Are you talking about oro- or nasopharyngeal airway adjucts? EMTs and paramedics operate under the license of a specific doctor so there are certain things they're not supposed to do when off duty and I've alway wondered which side of the line this would fall on.

Hi C.F.,

Oro or Naso - both certs. train each method. I understand your point about delegated medical acts, but these forms of airway management do not fall under such stipulation in my area. Defib. remains a delegated medical act in Ontario, but the P.A.D. programs can function because the legislators amended the act to allow the lay public to use the machine "in the event of an emergency", which a C.A. certainly qualifys as.

I am uncertain as to the limits on Ontario's Paramedic skills off duty, though I think it safe to assume that advanced procedures ( intubation, I.V. line / drug infusion etc. ) cannot be performed without specific medical direction.

Regards,
DSD

if you go to
Dive Alert Networks website they have prepackaged 1st aid kits that are ideal for diving.
ZeeMedical.com is also a good source for variety of generic first aid kits.
I purchased one of zee-medical's natural disaster kits , full blown first aid kit and included food and water for 3 adults for 3 days. very handy to have during storms and other disasters.

DeepSeaDan:
I am uncertain as to the limits on Ontario's Paramedic skills off duty, though I think it safe to assume that advanced procedures ( intubation, I.V. line / drug infusion etc. ) cannot be performed without specific medical direction.
I've always assumed noninvasive (ie BLS) skills where OK but I've never gotten confirmation on this. I also imagine there is some debate on whether shoving a straw down someone's nose is invasive or or not. :D

ps I'll answer to cornfed, but "C. F." is short for Cluster *&$!... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom