First aid kit of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alan_lee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all! I'm a newbie to the forum AND scuba :D Actually started lessons when I was in university 12 years ago but didn't complete my open water diver cos of illness, but I'm finally gonna get myself certified cos I've got myself a great diver buddy now: my wife!

Anyway, I'd like to find out what are the stuff that should be packed in a 1st aid kit for diving trips.

Side tracking from the thread a bit but staying on the topic of accidents, I'm sad to announce that a Singaporean (I'm from Singapore) man drowned diving in Sipadan. Was supposed to be his pre-wedding dive with his fiancee.

Beyond usual things, I have liquid hand sanitizer, latex gloves, safety glasses, alcohol, vinager, hydrocortozone, mylar emergency blanket, safety razor, super glue.

Benadryl tablets (in case of allergic reaction. It's the hospital favorite)
Loperamide tablets
Ibuprofen
CPR mask
Elastic bandage
Cold pack (the kind with the chemical tab that doesn't need freezing)
The usual assortment of bandages (non-stick pads) for punctures and lacerations
Triple antibiotic cream

If you are going to the tropics and burn easy--Solarcaine or something for sunburn treatment.

Some sort of antiseptic
Something to cure the squits
Something for sea sickness
Some sort of painkiller
Some sort of decongestant
Lots of plasters
A roll of crepe bandage
Tape

we take our 1st Aid 02 everytime we go diving .... but we also have our DAN O2 and 1st Aid certification

oh, and glucose lollies

I always carry aspirin in case someone has chest pain related to an MI this can prevent damage to the heart. But I carry it because I take it on repetiive dive days (vacation) and if I thought I was bent, I would pop a couple. I know the science is mixed buy I don't think it would hurt.

On long sails, epinephrine is good to have, as well as a broad spectrum antibiotic, and morphine. of course, this is a special circumstance, but something to consider for remote locales.

Depends on where you're going. Local or exotic? Civilized or third-world? Your list depends entirely on your medical problems, age, allergies, regional travel recommendations from the CDC, and your doctor's willingness to prescribe a variety of medications. Of course, pre-travel immunizations (Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Tetanus, etc.) apply.

Here's what's in my bag, if I'm going somewhere like Cozumel or third-world countries:

1. Oxygen
2. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics, like ibuprofen (I-Be-Broken)
3. Tylenol
4. Pepto-Bismol tablets, for daily enteritis prophylaxis
5. Phenergan suppositories, for mild vomiting
6. Phenergan tablets, for mild nausea
7. Phenergan ampules, for injection in severe nausea/vomiting
7. Antihistamine capsules, such as Benadryl (capsules can be opened, mixed with water into a paste and inserted rectally in cases of emergency)
8. Epi-Pen, for anaphylaxis
9. Sudafed, for nasal congestion
10. Z-Pack or Lev-Pack antibiotics, for upper respiratory infections
11. Lomotil or Immodium, for traveler's diarrhea
12. Cipro antibiotics, for traveler's diarrhea
13. Clean, sterile 20-gauge intravenous needles (some regions re-use IV needles)
14. Normal saline fluid bags for intravenous hydration
15. IV solution tubing and connectors
16. Narcotic analgesics, such as hydrocodone and oxycodone
17. Alcohol-based hand cleaning gel
18. Latex examination gloves
19. Ophthalmic antibiotics drops, such as Polytrim
20. Injection syringes/needles
21. Iodine water purification tablets
22. Dermabond glue, for wound closure
23. Hydrocortisone cream
24. Steri-Strips, for wound closure
25. Assorted bandages