First 6 Gill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanautchuck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally after nearly 400 dives it happened. I went up to Hood Canal with a bunch of friends for a camping/diving weekend. Weather and diving was the best. Saturday for my first dive I took my Zodiac up to Rosie's Ravine with some friends. Since I pulled a bonehead move and left my dry suit in the truck I was not able to dive the first dive.... But the dive Gods were smiling on me. After going back to get my suit, a friend and I went back to dive Rosie's. After dropping down the anchor line we started to swim down the slope and saw a 3' Dog Fish shark. This was only the 2nd shark I had ever seen and the first one was also at Rosie's and it was a Dog Fish also. After 60' the vis opened up and and we swam down to 125' checking the wall out. My buddy grabbed my fin and when I turned around there was a 8' 6 gill swimming around us. It was unforgettable. What a beautiful shark. My first real shark in the wild. It swam around us a bit then went on its way. We were giving each other the high-five :wave-smil :wave-smil and doing the victory dancing in excitement. This was also the first shark my buddy had ever seen. Then on our way up we ran into a 5' Dog fish shark who was not happy with us. He circled us then came at us, finally turning about a foot in front of my face. All this on top of seeing three large Wolf Eel's and several fish I have not seen before. I am still jazzed.

It was a great day of diving on Hood Canal.

Charles

Congratulations. I guess it's official now...Sixgill season :)

I am intesnsely jealous! My goal was to try to dive as much as possible this summer to see a sixgill, but being cooped up in Hawaii is cramping my style. Grats on your fish sighting!

The funny thing about seeing my first shark up in the NW is that I have gone to places in warm water where they promise me I will see sharks and guess what....no sharks. Heck my daughter that went with me to Grand Cayman last year saw a black tip snorkeling in front of the resort. Anyway, I am still jazzed about it two days later.

Charles

Don't you wish you had a camera?

Congrats on your good luck and good viz!

Awesome!!!!!!

Sasquatch:
Don't you wish you had a camera?

Congrats on your good luck and good viz!

I had left my camera on the boat because of all the plankton in the water. Even if I had had it with me I don't think it would of come out. It was fairly dark at 125' and the shark did not come any closer than 8'.

Now to see one in warm water with 200' vis and a camera. :D

Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom