Fireworks, Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone take any photos of fireworks this 4th of July? If so, how'd they turn out?

These were my first attempts. I lost a lot more due to having too many exposures per single exposure (if that makes any sense), and I ended up with a bunch of bright cauliflowers.

aaa.sized.jpg

aab.sized.jpg

aac.sized.jpg

aad.sized.jpg

Too many trees around our house.

Very cool pictures! That first one really does look like some anemones I've seen!

Great pics--can you tell me what your settings were?

Dee and okiediver1.

Actually, I used a wierd technique. The fstop for fireworks shots are normally set very high, in my case f/8.0. This is to narrow the depth of field, cuz what you're shooting at is so far away (I hope I got that right). I had ISO 100, and used manual focus about 3 steps back from infinity. I used a tripod...goes without saying. The wierd technique was actually setting the shutter speed to about 16 seconds. I used the little black remote for the C-5050 and covered the lens between exposures. If you look at the second photograph, you'll notice I got a bunch of blasts in one frame, or exposure, depending on how you look at it. This would have worked better if the blasts were a little more spread apart. The best thing about the technique I used was that I didn't have to worry about the delay between shutter activation and exposure, because all I had to to was remove the remote from over the lens in the 16 seconds I had the shutter open.

The whole thing was definately a lot of fun, and I look forward to trying next year, or on the 1st.

Breakin' it down:
ISO 100
f/8.0
16"
Manual focus
Full zoom
No flash

Let me know if you need any more info, or if I forgot something. :D

Nice pics! They turned out better than mine but I also forgot to take my tri-pod with me too but they weren't too bad. I used my 5050 while sitting down trying to keep the cam steady on my knee. I've got the pics at home so I'll post a few when I get a chance. Went to Estes Park, CO for a wedding and took some shots of the firewarks at Estes Lake.

Hey Doc,

Very nice shots! A technique I definitely will try out next chance I get.

One small point though, a higher f-stop (more narrow aperture) will increase the depth of field (more will be in focus), not narrow it.

Very cool, Doc! Set up your desktop for a slide show, put on Sousa's Greatest Marches, have a hot dog, and you've got a 4th whenever you like it.

Great shots!

TJ

Paula...I think the squiggly lines give some of the shots extra character! :D

Very Nice, anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom