Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. Has a passenger manifest been made public? Wondering about someone.
not yet, there is a media article out that named a half dozen based on facebook, family statements etc

I don't think that's a viable solution and I seriously doubt it would be considered... that would effectively ban the use of dive lights, DPVs, and cameras altogether.
Uhhhh. The United States Navy and all airlines have, as have the Coast Guard on their vessels. Vaping is not allowed because of the lithium batteries. I am jumping through my butt tying to find replacements for consumer type lithium batteries in standard consumer products because they don't meet the requirements the Navy has placed on them. Like the permanent batteries in radio equipment to hold items in memory.

I can see a prohibition on lithium batteries in seconds if they were determined to be the cause.

The reports of bodies with signs consistent with drowning came hours before the sinking, while the fire was still very active.

This is the part that seems odd to me. I wonder what exactly the signs were and how they are evident following such an intense fire.

This is the part that seems odd to me. I wonder what exactly the signs were and how they are evident following such an intense fire.
they were recovered early on while the fire was still being fought. Given they were specific "consistent with drowning" it rules out those 4 recovered were burned badly and infers fluid in lungs. The ME will have a much better report when done.

A value I’ve seen for the heat output of a room that reaches flashover is 25 megawatts of heat per second. It’s over a thousand degrees and pouring out huge amounts of intensely toxic gasses. Fire extinguishers won’t touch it, you can’t even get close enough to try without your clothes catching on fire from the radiant heat.

How it got so bad either that fast or without anyone noticing is almost certain to be a major focus of the investigation.

I've seen this unit of megawatts per second used several times now and I'm trying to make sense of it.

A watt is energy per second, already a measure of energy rate. So a watt per second would be energy per second per second, as if some kind of measure of acceleration. Is this what is meant, that the fire's rate of output is accelerating by 25 Watts every second?

I'll try to say it as carefully as possible, to avoid any accusations of speculation. Allegedly, while the boat was still engulfed in fire, first responders found 4 bodies, of passengers, not crew, that appeared to have drowned, not burned.

Beyond that everyone is free to come to their own conclusions as to how these people get in the water, when and how did they die, and why weren't there more victims recovered outside of the boat.

consistent with drowning
Can anyone provide a link to where that was reported? I have only read it quoted second hand here, and nowhere else. (maybe I missed it in an earlier link, but I don't think so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom