FINS: ScubaPro Jet, XS Scuba Turtle, Apeks RK3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all,

I've been looking into getting a new set of fins that are more rigid than the ones I have now. Upon researching them I came across the ScubaPro Jet, XS Scuba Turtle, and Apeks RK3 which all seem to be roughly the same fin. I have friends of my mine who love the Jets but my sidemount/cave instructor is against them and says they're way too heavy. With the discrepancies in what I've heard, I was hoping to get some clarification here as to which of the ones I listed would be the best, or if there's a different brand anyone would reccomend.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Apeks RK3, I have the ones in HD. If getting these go to the shop and size them up with your booties of choice. I’m usually an L but a M here. It feels like it’s a part of my body. Where I live in bad visibility and not so great waters. They crush everything in every aspect. At any moment you can bump into something you didn’t want to. The Apeks let me back peddle easily and swiftly. Great fin for extreme durability and more efficiency for power required per stroke. Unless a shark chomps on you, you’ll never need any other fin again.

The post I quoted 2 replies above

apilei66x__93082.jpg

Scuba Choice

Those are the ones that look identical to the (my) UTD Precision fins:

cb43a6_5b2d06b15cc848a98413c130bab58abf~mv2.jpg

UTD Precision Fins

The Scuba Choice and UTD Precision are Neutral/Positive, so the fins alone are neutral in fresh water, positive in salt water. The neutral/positive fins are intended for wetsuit and single tank diving.

The UTD Precision Negative fins can be used for both, but like heavy jetfins, are well suited for drysuit, doubles, stages, etc.

I haven't used Cressi Frogs or OMS Slipstreams, so I can't speak to how they feel. I've seen them in use. The lack of a sidewall in the Frogs will make it harder to backfin, etc. An instructor once pointed out the lack of sidewalls and how the fins bend with every kick, interfering with efficiency.

The Slipstreams are Neutral and similar to the UTD and the same mold above. They are slightly heavier (2.25 - 3 lbs) than the UTD Neutral (up to 2 lbs) and almost as heavy as Jetfins (up to 3 lbs, 12 oz). They are all around good fins.

How did you find your Slipstreams?

Great, so they even specified which version they knocked off (amzn didnt have that in the description)
"With drain hole on the fins, Neutrally/Positively Buoyant"

Slipstreams are great for a wetsuit

I have both the RK3 and Jet Fins. I like both, but as I normally dive in warm water and excellent conditions, I have recently changed to Scubapro Go Sport. They are probably not what you are looking for, but would be great for traveling or warm water without performance loss.

Back
Top Bottom