Fins recommended by gals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins for my recreational equipment & Jet fins for my technical set up. I like the Twin Jet Max for the ease of kicking when I'm puttering around relaxing & I like the thrust of the Jet Fins when I have the drag of the doubles on. I use an Oceanic Hera BC for recreational (very comfortable) & a BP/W for my doubles. I use a Scubapro MK25/S600 regulator for all my setups.

I had the Tusa XPert Zooms, and thought they were the greatest, because I didn't know any different. Recently I tested a few students fins in an OW class, and fell in love with Apollo Bio-Fins.

The Tusas are very stiff, and end up bruising the top of my foot because they're so firm, with no give. I ended up putting springs on my Bios which is so easy for putting on and taking off.

Definitely highly recommended. :goldfish:

I think being a woman will have much more impact on BC choice, not really on fins. You just need to figure out what style you prefer. Some people prefer paddles some prefer splits. Some prefer stiff some not. (I hate floppy fins myself.) How they fit and feel on your feet/booties is important. If you plan to travel you may not want some of the heavier fins. Get fins that suit you for diving, with a few possible exceptions anything you pick for diving will be ok for snorkeling (assuming you're not doing serious free diving, which is another matter.)

hi ya'll ...

i have a question for ya'll ... my wife is looking for some fins, after doing some research on scubadiving.com .. i've came across these fins which were top picks, but wondering if they were ok to use for my wife..

Oceanic Viper (paddle)
Mares avanti superchannel (paddle)
Atomic aquatics (split)

while reading, it seems that the atomics were the best in power, thrust which my wife realized it on our last dive with some current, she felt like she had to use alot more power to keep up with the rest of the class .. but on our last visit to our LDS, they didn't recommand that atomic fins due to its stiffness ..

has anyone use these mentioned fins and can explain how were your exprience with them?

thanks in advance !

I really like my Jet fins...even for snorkeling/free diving. While they aren't really optimal for snorkeling, I found that when I would duck-dive, the weight of the Jet fins made it really easy to stay at depth...so I didn't have to wear a weight belt :) Of course, a thinner, more flexible fin would work better for snorkeling.

I have a pair of Mares X-3 fins (picked them up for $15 on Ebay) that work pretty well for both scuba diving and snorkeling...plus, they are fairly lightweight (at least compared to my Jet fins!)

Another vote for the Jet Fins. As TSnM said, I'm not sure how great they would be for snorkelling, but for diving, they are the bee's knees. The wide and stiff blade is beneficial for slicing through the water, requiring less "work" on your part.

As far as a BC... I have owned a Diva, which I did swear by... but when I made the switch to a backplate and wing, there was no comparison. It was by far more comfortable than the women's BC. If you get a chance to try one out, I would recommend doing so before buying anything. :)

Good luck!

diving buddy she likes the tusa Xpert Zoom, the wife likes the mares quattro excel. They are about 100 bucks if you call around.

I have the Atomic Aquatics split fins and they work really well for recreational diving. I am, however, moving in the direction of more technical diving which requires more rigid, non-split fins. But if you're planning on nice vacation dive and snorkeling type fins, I would say these would work nicely (btw, I have a pair for sale in the classifieds section :D).

hi ya'll ...

i have a question for ya'll ... my wife is looking for some fins, after doing some research on scubadiving.com .. i've came across these fins which were top picks, but wondering if they were ok to use for my wife..

Oceanic Viper (paddle)
Mares avanti superchannel (paddle)
Atomic aquatics (split)

while reading, it seems that the atomics were the best in power, thrust which my wife realized it on our last dive with some current, she felt like she had to use alot more power to keep up with the rest of the class .. but on our last visit to our LDS, they didn't recommand that atomic fins due to its stiffness ..

has anyone use these mentioned fins and can explain how were your exprience with them?
It's silly for a LDS to not recommend a fin simply because it's stiff. It's a preference, some people like stiff fins and some don't. If they know your wife doesn't have strong legs or some other reason perhaps it's a useful data point. If they are simply assuming that she won't like stiff fins because she's a woman, or because they don't like stiff fins, it's just a useless comment.

I guess I am a fin-aholic as I have almost as many as many flip-flops I own...

First of all, most defenetly get a heel adjustable instead of a full-foot fin: it allows you to use it in warm and cold water, snorkeling and scuba. Wearing boots is a great idea when walking on beaches, boats, rocks...

Right now, my all-around favorite is Tusa's new Platina Plus with their spring straps. It is halfway between the Jet fin (which is my other favorite fin) and a free diving fin. It is very responsive, not split.

I also like the Atomic split fin for relaxing dives.

I use the Jet fins with my dry suit, as they are pretty heavy and keep my feet down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom