Fins positive or negative or neutral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do divers prefer, fins that R positive bouyancy or fins that R negitive in bouyancy. And or the fins that R neutral bouyancy. If U prefer positive why? If U prefer negitive why? And if U prefer neutral why?
I have a set of Force fins and really like them. But being handicapped I find that they R E-Z on my hip replacement. And they R a negitive fin. So I am just looking 4 answers 2 what other divers prefer. But I would like if they were or have some bouyancy.

...well, 4 instance, I U se Apollo Split Fins, admittedly, they are certainly a bit '-', but they work so gr-8 4 me that I don't really H-8 that about them.

As for loosing fins. I don't know, perhaps I shouldn't take the pish, but it's the same for dive knives, ok accidents happen but surely you gotta be pretty clumsy to lose one!

Lol! Yeah, I know, I was pretty clumsy. I just clipped them on and didn't tighten them cos they felt tight enough and then off one slipped. I later found it on my second dive standing upright waving at me - cheeky little thing. Learnt my lesson, tho.

As per the original post - whatever works best for you given conditions.

I have 4 sets of fins (varying buoyancy) which I use. Some of the UW configs. I use change my buoyancy quite a bit. Rebreathers, drysuit, foot pocket size can affect things quite I bit. On a constant basis I use:

Classic Jetfins (neg.)
Large pocket Jetfin Clone (neg.)
Mares Quattro -large pocket (neutral?)
Dive Rite/ Apollo tech fin (slightly neg.)

Additionally, all of this gets to be a big pain.

X

I used a ATOMIC split fin my legs are sinking ..any recommendations what fins that could help me remain neutral. Besides it is not too effective in handing surface current..a personal opinion.

I used a ATOMIC split fin my legs are sinking ..any recommendations what fins that could help me remain neutral. Besides it is not too effective in handing surface current..a personal opinion.
I don't see this fin mentioned here much, if any at all, but I have the Sherwood Triton which are a positive and have very good propulsion while being easy on your legs. They have two versions now with the other labled as 'Pro' which is a stiffer and geared towards tech, I think. I have the original, so I am not sure if the 'Pro' is positive.

I don't see this fin mentioned here much, if any at all, but I have the Sherwood Triton which are a positive and have very good propulsion while being easy on your legs. They have two versions now with the other labled as 'Pro' which is a stiffer and geared towards tech, I think. I have the original, so I am not sure if the 'Pro' is positive.
Although this is a 15 year old thread, I have both the original Triton and the pro, the pro are very stiff but amazing for the frog kick tough on the flutter, the original are just the opposite, good for frog kick and amazing for flutter.
I do like the new supernova over both.

Although this is a 15 year old thread, I have both the original Triton and the pro, the pro are very stiff but amazing for the frog kick tough on the flutter, the original are just the opposite, good for frog kick and amazing for flutter.
I do like the new supernova over both.
Ah, thanks for the feedback. I always wanted to hear a comparison with the 'Pro'.
I only really frog kick and the original seems to be fine with that. I suspected the stiffer would be better, but definitely wouldn't want something too hard on the legs if I have to flutter with current, etc. With the original I have noticed how easily I keep up when I have to flutter with very little effort on the legs.
Interesting that the Supernova is your preference over both. Will keep that in mind, but I doubt I would change though the Supernova ability to disassemble would come in handy for travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom